PDA

View Full Version : AMC model 20 Power Lok.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Dusty
10-18-2004, 11:18 AM
You know i grenaded mine last year when the housing spread on me. I wonder how hard it would be to modify or machine a D44 or D60 (i think 60 is too bog to be turned down) power lok LS center section to fit a M20 R & Pinion, via machining with larger carrier bearings and a larger diameter ring gear surface? make it so the M20 uses 30 spline axle shafts and D44 side gears, readily available parts? I even recall that there were different versions of the Powerlok, using steeper ramps to sharpen the engagement?

Just a thought but i missed my M20 Plok once it was gone, havent been able to find one since.

tufcj
10-18-2004, 01:03 PM
The AMC20 has a 8 7/8" ring gear, the 44 is only 8 1/2", so it's too small. I believe the 60 is 10 1/4" I believe. Maybe a Ford 9" or a Mopar corp 9 1/4"? It would all depend on the width of the carrier between the bearings, and where the ring gear is positioned on the carrier.

Really sounds like too much work and research to me. I'd just go for a full detroit, or find an open carrier and slap in an EZ locker or Lock-Right. You could also check the AMC car areas. My 69 AMX has a Power Lock in it's AMC 20. It was marketed as the "twin grip" rear axle option.

Dusty
10-18-2004, 01:12 PM
The AMC20 has a 8 7/8" ring gear, the 44 is only 8 1/2", so it's too small. I believe the 60 is 10 1/4" I believe. Maybe a Ford 9" or a Mopar corp 9 1/4"? It would all depend on the width of the carrier between the bearings, and where the ring gear is positioned on the carrier.

Really sounds like too much work and research to me. I'd just go for a full detroit, or find an open carrier and slap in an EZ locker or Lock-Right. You could also check the AMC car areas. My 69 AMX has a Power Lock in it's AMC 20. It was marketed as the "twin grip" rear axle option.

Bouncing ideas off in my mind, I like Ploks in the rear over lockers, D60 is 9 3/4, i was thinking totally machining the carrier from scratch to house the D44 parts. probably right tho, way too much work for little to no good results 111!!! The mopus 9 1/4 or 8 and 3/4 or even an IH powerlok might be an option to machine to fit. What gave me the idea wa that a 11.5" D80 ring gear can be fitted on to a modified D70 10.5" carrier. So it just got me to thinking, was kinda thinking out loud

Thanks for the sugs, Bob

Briteblock
10-20-2004, 05:24 PM
how about this pic of a 40 spline AMC 20

http:www.oops.com/40spline.jpg

oops little red X guess their isnt one available :mrgreen:

111!!! Just being an ass here 111!!! =D> [/img]

Bulltear Ad