PDA

View Full Version : Heddman Versus Hooker Dogleg Headers?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepmonster
10-20-2004, 07:34 PM
I am looking for some dogleg headers for my 343, what headers are better? Heddman or Hooker? Thanks!

jeepsr4ever
10-20-2004, 07:41 PM
so basically you have dog leg heads on your 343? What vehicle is it in?

jeepmonster
10-20-2004, 08:54 PM
I am using edelbrock Aluminum heads on my 343. I am wondering about the quality of the headers as in the shape of the dogleg port on the headers with the heddmans VS the hookers. I actually had heddman doglegs on the square port heads for awhile with no problems but have heard bad things about the shape of the hooker dogleg port.

jeepsr4ever
10-20-2004, 09:06 PM
I have seen crappy dog legs on the hookers and have never had a issue with hedman...thats my .02 cents

tufcj
10-21-2004, 08:03 AM
I had Hedman headers on the AMX when I got it. I couldn't get them to seal, there just didn't seem to be enough of a bead of metal against the head and the flange didn't match up to the head real well.

I went to Hooker super comps with the new engine. The flanges are thicker and they match the ports much better.

Of course, I am comparing a set of $125, 1 5/8" headers against a set of $400, 1 7/8" headers.

Ever think about the Edelbrock shorties?

Bob
tufcj

jeepmonster
10-21-2004, 03:25 PM
I had Hedman headers on the AMX when I got it. I couldn't get them to seal, there just didn't seem to be enough of a bead of metal against the head and the flange didn't match up to the head real well.

I went to Hooker super comps with the new engine. The flanges are thicker and they match the ports much better.

Of course, I am comparing a set of $125, 1 5/8" headers against a set of $400, 1 7/8" headers.

Ever think about the Edelbrock shorties?

Bob
tufcj

Yep I have thought about the edelbrocks, they seem like they are a very good quality design. Is there really much difference between them and a full length headers as far as horepower increases? I would think the edelbrocks could hold their own against a full length header and any differences in power would be negligable on a strong 343? It is going in my 2 seater so the edelbrocks would be a better fit and probably lighter than full lenghts! Man looks like I'll have removed about a 100 pounds off the front end;-aluminum intake, aluminum heads, shortie headers, and power master alternator, over the stock cast iron stuff. More power AND better handleing-can't beat that!

Goose
10-22-2004, 04:28 PM
I use the hedmanns on the jeeps and other than having to dress the bumps on the weld on one set have had good luck 9 years of daily use on the J-10 and still going. I had the hookers on the Gremlin and really had no trouble there either, but for the price difference I'm a Hedmann kinda guy.. I haven't seen the edelbrock though.

tubbedamx
10-27-2004, 01:57 PM
I have had both hedman and hooker. Currently I have a set of hooker supercomps #7103. The tubes are ok but the ports didn't match real well. I spent a couple of days gasket matching the headers. They seem to be working and with no leaks. The headman's I had would never seal and always leaked.

radjeeper
04-08-2005, 12:31 AM
How about the Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers? They have been around for a long time, anyone out there tried them?

ol' school power
04-15-2005, 08:25 PM
If it's just a street application, then just use the Edel shorties.
Many of the people that I've talked with sent the Hookers back for a refund when they saw how bad the flanges were welded blocking the ports.

jeepmonster
04-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Its mostly a street driven summer only AMX and all I want is 13's.
Since this post started I have had a set of built 70' 390 doglegs done up with openned up chambers , and some bowl porting as well.

Aluminum heads would have been nice but, the $1,400+ dollars saved is going to other areas, like better rear gears and possibly an 11" continental 2500 stall for the trusty M12, but both of those are still up in the air as I would like to see how the car responds with "just" the modified engine and nothing else changed from before although the converter is practically a no brainer since all I have to do is slide it on before I drop the motor back in 111!!! .
She might see a trip to the track every now and then, but it should run 13's with ease. My exuast is already full 2 1/2" mandrel bent out to the bumper, so it is set up for full length headers. The headers I had on there were hooker super comps(square port), and I sold them on ebay to someone who was very happy with the work I did to them. The edlebrock heads shoulnt be a limiting factor but full length headers will be a lot cheaper, tough call here. Any guesses as to how much power a full lenght can be worth over a shorty? I would think it is very miniscule? :-|

Bulltear Ad