PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock heads, How good are the valves?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepmonster
10-22-2004, 04:32 PM
I'll be getting the edelbrock heads around spring time. I am wondering if I should buy a bear set and use parts that I already have and install them to save money. I have a new set of valves with very low miles on them, I have a set of Comp Cams Titanium Valve retainers and super locks, and I'll be using the springs from the Reed Cam I am going to get. How much work will be involved to use my stock valves? Ultimateluy am I better off getting fully assembled edelbrock heads and just selling the springs and retainers from them if I swap them out? If I buy them bear all I'll need is seals and studs and looks like I'd still be way ahead in savings, unless there is machining involved in using stock valves.

jeepsr4ever
10-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Let me tell you my experience

I purchased a set of 3 bare castings for a project. The price difference was around $150. I also purchased one complete head and was bummed that I wasted my time on the bare castings. The complete head comes with stainless steel valves (chevy) springs, nice keepers and guide plates with studs. Their is no way I could outfit the 2 bare castings I have left for 150 bucks per head with all the goodies they come with in complete form.

jeepmonster
10-22-2004, 09:42 PM
can I still use the titanium retainers I have? Comp Cams # 732-16?

jeepsr4ever
10-22-2004, 09:48 PM
if they will accept a 11/32" stem

jeepmonster
10-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Looks like these titanium retainers will be fine. Edelbrock head spring dia is 1.55 so if it keep those springs they will work, as these titanium ret are for use with 1.5-1.55 springs. Also they use 10 degree super locks.

Bulltear Ad