PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar on 77 CJ5

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Goose
10-22-2004, 04:54 PM
I'm kinda lost here but didn't they pretty much put sway bars on the fron of all the CJ's by 1977?? I have one with a 304 in it and I cant seem to find where a sway bar was ever mounted and this thing is pretty wild to drive, so I'm pretty sure it must have had one (either that or AMC had good lawyers) any help?? or ideas where I can find a bar to mount?

milocj
10-23-2004, 07:40 AM
I've got a 1978 CJ7 frame sitting in the yard right now. The sway bar is mounted with those standard type saddle style brackets (with the bushing in them) to two cast brackets that are bolted to the frame. There is one bolt that goes completely through the bracket and the side rail, and then two bolts that go through this bracket into the bottom of the frame. These brackets mount similarly on both sides of the vehicle. As a reference point the left hand side bracket bolts through the side of the frame near the rear of the steering box.
If you've got the mounting holes (and I'm assuming captive nuts in the bottom) in the frame I would probably be willing to sell you the whole assembly, but it may cost more to ship than it's actually worth. Depending on how easy the brackets come off the frame I'm not sure if I can find the time before it gets too cold to get the bolts off.
Jeff.

Goose
10-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Yep the holes are there, Man I was looking on the bottom of the frame!.. If you do get it off let me know and we can figure out shipping.. Maybe one of the guys who ship things all the time has an answer.. I would sure be interested as there exactly 0 places around here with jeeps in the wrecking yards..

Thanks again..

milocj
10-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey Goose,
I take it you need the two cast brackets as well as the swaybar and saddle mounts, correct? I could get the bar off fairly easy and probably the bolts through the side of the rails, but I don't know how easy the two bolts into the bottom of the frame will come on each side. It's raining and the chassis is in my yard. If it dries out enough before the end of the weekend I'll see how easy it comes off, or at least lay underneath and shoot you a photo or two. If I get the bar off I can weigh it and we can at least try to see what shipping would run.

Goose
10-25-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks man I appreciate it.. Yea I need pretty much all of it.. someone thought a plow setup WELDED to the frame was more important than the swaybar!! I bet this thing was scary with that plow on it at 50 mph..

Sheesh now that I think about it.. I wonder how the back tires ever touched the ground, the plow set up was made out of 1/2 plate and was about 200 lbs and I'll bet a plow and winch to lift it wieghs at least 300 more..with a v-8 up front yikes talk about nose heavy! 111!!!

Penguin
11-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Hey, my 79 CJ-5 doesn't have one. But the 79 CJ-7 I have does. I really don't think the 5's came with one. I have never seen one on except for people who put them on afterward.

Goose
11-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Hmm, thats interesting. This is the newest CJ-5 I 've ever owned so I just though they put them on in the later years..I wonder where I could go to check this out..If it didnt have one from the factory it must be possible to make this thing drive right.
Ahh the multifaceted Joy of Jeep ownership, detective work aggravation frustration and a whole lot of fun.

Penguin
11-30-2004, 05:23 PM
I do believe it can be made to work. I have the FSM and there is nothing in there specific about what models had it or not. However as the fronts of CJ-5 and 7 are identical it would be very easy to put on.

milocj
11-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Goose,
I'm sorry! I've been so busy I haven't even seen the Jeep project in my yard in the daylight for the last few weeks. I've got to get it all moved over to my parents' house within the next couple of weeks so I can use their garage once the snow falls. I'll try to take some pics of the mounting brackets on the old rusted frame this weekend when it's light out while I'm at home. If you think you can use the bar and brackets I'm sure we can work out some kind of a deal and I'll try to get them off soon after that for you. It's on a 1978 CJ7 frame, but everything looks identical to my 1986 if I remember correctly.

Goose
12-01-2004, 04:07 AM
That would be awsome ..and hey no big hurry.. Im not gonna lay in the snow and put it on.. So when it's good for you it works for me..Thanks again !!

Bulltear Ad