PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock Shorty Headers

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

ibejeepin
10-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Have any of you seen these headers? I have the Hedman Headers now and I'm tired of them leaking. I ordered a set of the Edelbrock Shorty Headers and I'm waiting to get them. I was wondering if any of you guys run the Edelbrock Headers.
Thanks,

MC
10-25-2004, 04:59 PM
Yup we sell about 3 pairs every week. The headers are very nice when you order them without airtubes. Most guys who ordered right when they were available got the ones with air tubes. Edelbrock was slow to inform their warehousers that they could order them without. We now can order them without air tubes tey are a completely different number not on any current price list so if you didnt ask yours will have air tubes

BRAD ARTHUR
10-25-2004, 06:11 PM
IS THERE MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE IN THESE HEADERS COMPARED TO STOCK MANIFOLDS?? WHATS THE ADVANTAGES OR DISADVANTAGES ?

jeepsr4ever
10-25-2004, 06:13 PM
headers flow better but can cause head warpage and valve warpage in cold climates. They also cause engine bay temps to rise alot. They are light and efficient and with proper car are better than manifolds.

JMSII
10-26-2004, 08:54 AM
MC,

What do you charge for the Edelbrock headers without a.i.r. tubes for a 79 CJ-7 V/8?

Thanks!

ibejeepin
10-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Do these hook up to your exhaust with standard 3" collectors. I know the exhaust will have to be modified to hook up.
Has anyone used the flexable exhaust connections?
Thanks,

jeepsr4ever
10-26-2004, 01:22 PM
pm me on price

hmm as far as the collector goes...I will have to check on it

JMSII
10-26-2004, 01:25 PM
I could be messed up here, but I thought the shorty headers were direct replacements for the exhaust manifolds.

MC, by the way, while you are checking, could you find out how much you would charge for these headers?

Thanks!

pyagid
10-26-2004, 01:31 PM
From the Edelbrock Website

Shorty Headers For Jeep And AMC
High-quality Edelbrock Shorty Headers bolt directly to the factory crossover pipe with no cutting or welding required for installation. These high quality shorty headers fit 1972-1991 full size Jeep Cherokee, Wagoneer, J series pickups, 1972-81 Jeep CJ5, CJ7, CJ8; and 1970-79 AMC cars including AMX, Javelin, Matador, Rebel, Hornet and Gremlin with 304, 360 or 401 cu in. V8, with A.I.R. Features of these new headers include 1-5/8" diameter cold rolled mild steel tubing; 3/8" thick, laser-cut, robotically welded flanges; and CNC mandrel-bent tubing for superior flow. This is a premium line of headers for outstanding performance and quality. 50-state street legal.

Shorty Headers for 1972-91 Jeep & 1970-79 AMC Part No.
Nickel-plated finish 6581
Black painted finish 65810
Ceramic coated finish 65812

ibejeepin
10-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Well, I don't have the stock exhaust on my CJ7 anymore. I had the Heddman Headers and a custom dual exhaust.
I was wondering if you could use a standard 3" collector?
Thanks,

ol' school power
10-26-2004, 08:42 PM
A collector won't work. The end of the tubular is in the same position as a factory cast manifold. It should be a 2-1/2" and shaped to connect directly to a factory down pipe.

jeepmonster
10-30-2004, 06:58 PM
A collector won't work. The end of the tubular is in the same position as a factory cast manifold. It should be a 2-1/2" and shaped to connect directly to a factory down pipe.

Ahhhh...now I see. Is this smaller diameter outlet of the edelbrock headers compared to full length headers, the reason shortie headers can sacrifice some power? Or is the 2 1/2 Vs. 3" collector negligable towards power production? I would tend to think that once you get to 2 1/2" that 3" isnt really going to show much gain ,if any, in most mild street strip setups. On the other hand tube length and collector length was at least that's what I have always thought was more influential?? Thoughts....would a 2 1/2" collector Vs 3 actually be BETTER for exasut velocity?? Hmmmm :-|

ol' school power
10-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Yes, the smaller is better for velocity but it all depends on how the engine is setup and how are you going to drive it.
Is this a street driven vehicle that won't see track duty or opened exhaust?
Then use the shorty.

Bulltear Ad