PDA

View Full Version : Any link between GM and AMC??

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

FrankNB
10-28-2004, 10:20 AM
I've read the whole history of AMC, the packard supplier thing and how AMC started making their V8s.. This is something that happened to me and I don't really believe it.. :!: :razz:

The shop that rebuilt my engine this summer tells me that American Motors is the same thing as General Motors.. because alot of parts for my 360, in their books they had to look under GM when they were not identified under AMC..

Is that true? I mean, the distributor on my engine is a Ford type, doesn't mean it's a Ford!?? See, I was born in 1975, so maybe some of you veterans around here can shed some light.. Whatever happened to AMC, why have they disappeared? :-|

mrtazwrench
10-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Whatever happened to AMC, why have they disappeared? :-|

they were bought by chrysler around 1987.

Dusty
10-28-2004, 02:17 PM
Push rods and roller rockers are same as GM but the lifters are the same as a chrystler i thought and i cant think of much else that interchanges............ you have to watch out for shops that claim an AMC is just like a GM. my heads were screwed up three times by two shops in sacramento because they believed that they knew better 111!!! Same thing is true with Hemi's the pistons have to be clearanced more than a GM. most shops dont now this and dont read/ believe the piston spec sheet and therefore ussually it results in a piston skirt being taken out pre maturely

FrankNB
11-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Yea, I hate not being in control... It seems you kinda have to let them do their job.. I really would like to build an engine from scratch someday.. I was involved this summer, but not as much as I would've liked.. I don't trust other people with my things... MC is the exception... :mrgreen:

Trailbst
11-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Whatever happened to AMC, why have they disappeared? :-|

they were bought by chrysler around 1987.

But don't forget AMC still lives on in small form in AM General. Who still makes Military HMMWVs.

Erik

ol' school power
11-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Any GM part that fits the AMC engine is a fluke and the machinist is a moron.
Rockers are close, but not exactly correct. That's why there are AMC specific rockers out there.

Bulltear Ad