PDA

View Full Version : Edellbrok tunig problems?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

shawn
10-31-2004, 08:02 PM
I just installed this 304 in my CJ. Picked it up form someone in another 4WD club. It starts great, idles fantastic, and has superb oil pressure, but I am having problems. I have not driven it on the road yet.

But, while at an idle, I hit the gas (after the engine is warm) and all it wants to do is sputter/backfire slightly/stumble. But if I ease into it she will get to a nice smooth accelaration. This 304 has the Performer intake and Edell 1406 carb. But so far it seems to me it is in the accelorator pump adjustment, anything else I am missing?

Goose
11-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Well, if the accel pump is actually squirting fuel I would look elswhere, There isnt much adj on the 1406 pump.. I would check timing first. oh and make sure the accel pump isn't hanging up in the bore when you whack it. the shaft is nylon and over time it will wear a groove in the shaft. If you ifnd this to be the case just remove the S link on top of the pump turn the shaft 180 deg reinstall the link and it will cure the hanging.

shawn
11-01-2004, 07:08 AM
Hrm, good idea on the accel pump. I am going to check timming today and see what's up with that, but am sure the timming is good.

jeepmonster
11-01-2004, 11:09 AM
I just installed this 304 in my CJ. Picked it up form someone in another 4WD club. It starts great, idles fantastic, and has superb oil pressure, but I am having problems. I have not driven it on the road yet.

But, while at an idle, I hit the gas (after the engine is warm) and all it wants to do is sputter/backfire slightly/stumble.

Sounds like a choke problem, or your not letting it get warm enough?

shawn
11-02-2004, 05:50 AM
After picking up a new accelarator pump and tinkering for over an hour, I finally found out what was wrong. The check ball up by the pump jets was jammed in the hole, and would not lift to let gas by and into the jets. So after getting that loose all is well.

Bulltear Ad