PDA

View Full Version : Cam gear oil channels...

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepmonster
11-06-2004, 04:42 PM
I took a look(that rhymes) :? at the cam gear that I removed from my 343 on tear down. I don't hink it's the original gear, but it's been in there since at least the mid 80's and it's an all metal gear my thinking is that it's an NOS replacement set since there is a date of 9/22/81 stamped on the cam gear. Interesting enough, but what struck me with the most curiosity was the route the oil takes through the gear. There is NOT a slot machined into the inside dia. of the gear, instead there is actually a hole machined into the gear just under where the "slot" would be, and the hole is machined through the gear at what looks like a 45 ish' degree angle. This looks a LOT different than pictures I have seen of the "oil slot" that is machined into replacement AMC timming cam gears. The rollmaster has the slot and it is machined quite nicely, but the design of the oil hole in the gear I removed from my 343 is also very precise looking why/when was the design changed to a slot? I can post a pic if need be.

jeepsr4ever
11-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Thats a TRW gear they used a hole instead of a slot...works well enough.

jeepsr4ever
11-06-2004, 04:50 PM
The rollmaster is a very nice setup. We have one on the drawing board for infinite timing adjustment as well...I have a rollmaster sittinghere in front of me...it is exceptionally nice. Not sure of the advantage of a billet gear and I can see some issues with thermal expansion and early chain wear but they are sparkly new :t:

jeepmonster
11-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Thats a TRW gear they used a hole instead of a slot...works well enough.

Maybe it works better than a slot :-|

XtremeOverKill
11-07-2004, 11:51 PM
MC you're starting to worry me here....

I just bought a Roll Master....

How short is this "early chain wear" you speak of.

jeepsr4ever
11-08-2004, 08:37 AM
It is really undecided at this point and its only speculation but when you are dealing with a solid material and mild steel you have tiny arear of stress in the material and warpage over thermal changes...really basic stuff whether or not it applies totally here is unknown :-|

jeepmonster
11-08-2004, 01:30 PM
It is really undecided at this point and its only speculation but when you are dealing with a solid material and mild steel you have tiny arear of stress in the material and warpage over thermal changes...really basic stuff whether or not it applies totally here is unknown :-|

I wouldnt worry about it that much, the rollmaster gears are actually a "balanced" matched set according to them, they seem to be lighter than the TRW set that was in my 343, wich was a non-roller stock replacement chain. That chain was stretched pretty good, it was so loose that it was contacting the oil slinger "lip" machined into the timing cover above the crank seal hole and gouged it, I heard it everynow and then too when the 343 was idleing in the garage. :!: I did drive that 343 hard too, so it took a beating but that chain was in there since at LEAST 1985, I bought the car in 1987!

I think the rollmaster will be able to take a lOT more abuse. The way the teeth are machined is supposed to free up some revs, also don't forget there is a torrington bearing on these bad boys, that should also help the chain life quite a bit over a stock chain. I still say it's one of the best timing sets available for AMC given the features it has, and the price compared to others.

XtremeOverKill
11-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Although I cant speak from experience

I'll put faith in the Roll Master timing set
:lo1l:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/MikesJeep/Timing%20Cover/TimingHilight.jpg

as Compared to Stock

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/MikesJeep/Timing%20Cover/DSCF0405.jpg

jeepsr4ever
11-08-2004, 03:52 PM
purdy

jeepmonster
11-08-2004, 04:13 PM
You beat me to it, I am going to post pic of my TRW chain next to the Rollmaster soon. Is that a Factory installed OE chain you pictured and does it have a slot in the gear or a hole for the oil flow, I can't quite tell. Also if anyone knows why the TRW gears have a hole instead of a slot I am all ears, and did the factory chain gears use a hole or slot? Seems to me a slot is easier and cheaper to manufacture, but the hole might have advatages as well? :-| I am very interested in this variation in oil channel design :sa:

Al Johnson
11-09-2004, 10:42 PM
did the factory chain gears use a hole or slot? :sa:

My '84 Grand Wag 360 was bone stock when I tore it apart, and it had a powder metal cam sprocket, with a slot oil passage in the hub hole.

I sure like the looks of that Rollmaster timing set above. How much do they cost, in case I ever buy another set?

Thanks!
Al

XtremeOverKill
11-09-2004, 11:03 PM
I honestly can not comment on the Stock or not of the other cam set. The engine was pulled from a junk yard... I don't have any history for it.

There is a partnumber on the gear, Beging with the typical Jeep number system... and if memory serves me correct there is a slot for oiling.

In the Cam there is a hole that lines up with the oiling grove for the cam... which also corresponds to the slot in the timing chain.

If there is not a slot in the Roll Master... I'll put on in myself.

To answer the question about the cost... I bought an anti-walk kit from Nick Alfano... $268. Granted yes its billet, and the gear is machined to work with the anti-walk plate.... I found the same gear at flatlanderracing for only $79.00

On my next build I'm going to re-make that cam holding button thing, and just by the RollMaster from FlatLander.

And I'm not 100% ready to put in the kit... I have quetsions regarding the oiling of the cam gear if it is blocked by the anti-walk plate. Yes there are holes in the plate, but does this allow for sufficient oiling to the distributor gear?

Has anyone else run this setup on their machine? Noticed any problems? or Fixes?

jeepmonster
11-10-2004, 10:30 AM
The rollmaster cam gear slots in teh cam mounting hub line up perfectly with the slots in the factory parts and that equals plenty of oil flow to the distributor gears! There is a straight shot of oil through those slots, it is machined perfectly. The billet steel is also nitrided so it is hardened but not heat treated.

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:51 pm Post subject: Pictures Of rollmaster Billet Timing gear, oil slot alignmnt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I digitzed some photos of the billet rollmaster timing chain for you guys/girls to check out. First pic below shows The alignment on the oil slots is DEAD ON! Pics show my original camshaft gear lined up with the new rollmaster cam timing sprocket.
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/amxracerx/100_0403.jpg

Bulltear Ad