PDA

View Full Version : TH400 noise?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

CJ Shark
11-10-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm getting a strange noise from my drivetrain, almost the sound you get when your t-case is not fully in gear.

I pulled the dana 20 and replaced with my spare, still getting the same noise.

Now I'm even slipping a little, the Th400 was fully rebuilt a year ago so I don't think it would be the cause....but wondering somethign like the governor?

MC not pointing the finger (mainly cuz I doubt the adaptor could do it) but this has been happening after the new adaptor like I mentioned last may.

This is killing me to figure out the cause

jeepsr4ever
11-10-2004, 01:07 PM
If its slipping it may be your torque converter. Hard to say without having it here. A adaptor if it didnt allow proper tooth engaugment would chip the teeth but not slip. Is your T-case popping out of gear

CJ Shark
11-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Nope t-case seems fine.

I'm really thinking about the torque converter now, could explain the noise too.

CJ Shark
11-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Been too lazy to pull the tranny, but if its the torque converter......what would you recommend? TCI? Stall Speed?

Specs;
TH400
Dana 20
5.13 gears

ol' school power
11-18-2004, 07:51 PM
If a trans is slipping, a converter won't do anything for it.
Do a damage report. drop the pan and look for debris in the pan and filter.

CJ Shark
11-26-2004, 09:16 AM
It was the convertor, it was on the verge of blowing apart........good thing I pulled it when I did.

The crud coming out of it was plugging valves, which is why it was shifting funny.

So the question still goes unanswered, what TC is everyone runnign?

Lifted79CJ7
11-26-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm still running the stocker from the Waggy that I pulled the 727 from. What kind of wheeling do you do? I guess that will determine what kind of stall speed you want. As for brands, your guess is as good as mine.

Jack

ol' school power
11-26-2004, 12:15 PM
The converter doesn't have clutches in it to produce crud. The crud is coming from the clutches and the converter only served as a depository.

CJ Shark
11-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Thanks Lifted

Old School, thanks for your tranny tidbits. But what I've been asking for is convertor suggestions. :-|

Lifted79CJ7
11-27-2004, 12:20 PM
So CJ, are you a rock crawler? If so, the lower the stall speed the better. If you are a mudder, you want to go with a higher stall speed. TCI is supposed to be a good company, and I haven't heard any complaints from B&M, either.

Jack

CJ Shark
11-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks lifted, I do kinda both if that makes sense.

Thinking about a TCI or B&M around the 1800-2200 range......nothing too crazy

Lifted79CJ7
11-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.tciauto.com/converters/index.htm

http://www.bmracing.com/

Hope this helsp ya out a little.
Jack

CJ Shark
12-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Well an update for any interested.

The tranny was plugged from a blow torque convertor, the metal from the fins and some possible aluminum was plugging the valve body. A quick run to my tranny guy fixed this up.

As for the torque conv, I tried many different ideas. Seems a higher stall conver is always smaller, thus not many companys make them to fit the amc flex plate. B&M had a few with two bolt positions but the ones with the right hole pattern was wayyyyyyy to high a speed. talking 2500-3000 rpm here.

So talking with a local tranny supply shop I learned some interesting news. If you want a higher stall 1700-1900 the jaguar th400 stock conv fits into this range.

But what I didn't know is the stock convert for the th400 is in the 1400-1500 rpm range........whish was fine with me.

B&M TC - 300.00 price range
Stock TC - 70 bucks (who would have guessed)

Now after all this work, I still get the noise LOL

i'm going to try a few tricks to see if I can isolate it. 2 different Dana 20's, new TC and some new th400 clutches......dunno what else to check.

MC I may have to try my stock adaptor, its the only thing I haven't tried to change yet :-|

1970amx
12-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Hello,
If it is a whine type of noise it is the front pump. Either the pump is shot or the tranny is clogged up.

Hope this helps
Rob

CJ Shark
12-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Thanks Rob, but everything on the tranny has been figured out and fixed.

Its more of a "not fully in gear" type of noise I get in 2 high.

I've tried 2 different shifters - normal and "J" style & 2 different transfer cases. I get the noise out of both situations.

I'm about to turn into either a;

A) Alcholoic from the frustration :razz:
or
B) A Dana 20 / TH400 R&R expert #-o

Being that my little topic is getting popular I'll take this opperturnity to ask where I can get a Dana 20 twin Stick? :mrgreen:

jeepsr4ever
12-15-2004, 12:17 PM
:-| purplexing....hmmm I know the adaptors were made extremely carefully paying attention to every measurement. Doesnt make sense...

CJ Shark
12-16-2004, 08:16 AM
I have no doubt your adaptor isn't the problem buddy, just the only thing I haven't changed.

if I can find a twin stick I may try that first.

Who knows I maybe have a crappy shifter and its not fulling popping into 2high.

its a long shot but its a possibility.

So again.......where can I get a twin stick :mrgreen:

Bulltear Ad