PDA

View Full Version : Leaking front seal

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MIDNIGHT
11-15-2004, 07:16 AM
My front seal on my 360 is dripping some oil. It started a few months ago and I pulled the balancer to replace the seal and found out that the balancer is grooved out where the seal rides. I was gonna buy a new balancer, but the guy at the parts store told me to buy a repair kit, which is no more than a sleeve that pushes on to the balancer. That worked for a few months but is slowly dripping again. I gonna get a new balancer, but my question is, can I replace the seal without having to pull the timing cover?

tufcj
11-15-2004, 09:53 AM
It will depend on the year of the engine. Older factory covers could only be installed/pulled from the inside. The newer and replacement covers can be pulled from the outside. I'm not sure of the year they made the change.

Look on ebay for hd_mad_dog, they're selling brand new balancers for $79.

Bob
tufcj

jeepsr4ever
11-15-2004, 10:30 AM
The timing covers with a "DJ" cast into the front will have the seal pushed in from the back with aluminum surrounding the seal in the front to act as a factory stop for easy installation...this makes it impossible to replace from the front.

MIDNIGHT
11-15-2004, 11:54 AM
it looks like it could be pulled out from the front, but i'm scared to prise on it. I don't see an aluminum lip that would be holding anything back. where is the DJ casting at on the cover?

Also, whats the best way to install a balncer. It seems like last time I pulled it, it came off with a puller, but putting it back on was a bitch. It was such a pressed fit that it stripped the threads on the installer tool about 3/4 the ways on and I ended up having to start the balancer bolt in and tighten, then carefully tap it on with a hammer while tigtening the bolt every few whacks. I'm sure the balancer wasn't cocked or it wouldn't have went on the first 3/4 of the way.

I had to hold the pulley up on it to see if the belts lined up to make sure it was all the way on 111!!!

jeepsr4ever
11-15-2004, 11:58 AM
The way I use to install a balancer is to push it on as far as you can get it and take a flat piece of something hard and gently tap it untill you can get enough threads to use the center bolt to get it the rest of the way. I also use some light synthetic oil on the crank

Mudrat
11-15-2004, 06:50 PM
<snip> light synthetic oil on the crank
Instead of hand cream or KY :shock: sounds like you :t:
Well anyway - -where is the "DJ" cast on the balancer??

Mudrat 8)

jeepsr4ever
11-15-2004, 09:37 PM
on the cover in the front behind the balancer and on the inside of the casting is where "dj" is marked....silly rodent

Mudrat
11-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Well, I'd LOVE to put a Ratt motor in the mud mobile - but don't have the coinage. Fuzz found a block, but I couldn't scrape the cash for it (and the rest of the stuff to go in it :smile: )
Now if I could find a running 360/401 with all the associated necessities for less than a few cases of brew - I'd be on it like stink on ... well ... a Cheby!!! (sorry Rob, but I have one too :razz: )

Mudrat

Bulltear Ad