PDA

View Full Version : AMC rebuilding

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MIDNIGHT
11-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Does anyone know of a good book or manual to read and go by while building AMC's

I've been looking for another 360 to build and I talked to a dude yesterday that said he would sell me one that he was building, but lost interest in the whole jeep scene. He said $500 takes it. I didn't like the idea of buying someone elses rebuild, but he said it had the 50cc heads with studs and roller rockers with springs good for a decent lift cam.

The engine isn't all put together. The rotating assembly is togehter, but the heads, intake, etc. aren't bolted on yet. I had him check the casting number on the heads. If they are the 291 heads, are they not alone worth money? He said he had a little over $1000 in it. He said he had some kind of comp cam to go in it, don't know the specs. I'm not sure if he had an intake, but he said he would leave it on a brand new pro-lift engine stand as well. What ya think, $500 is what he told me, and he came to me, so I sure I could talk him down some. :puzzled:
TIA

tufcj
11-16-2004, 10:27 AM
I bought this book. Although I don't agree with everything he does, it's pretty thorough, and has good pictures and explanations.

www.hobbyobsession.com/bjsbook.html

There is also this book, they pop up on ebay all the time. It hasn't been updated since 1972, but has a lot of good theory. There is talk of getting permission to reprint and update it with current parts listings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6762&item=7934896516&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

iqsr2
11-17-2004, 10:28 PM
tufcj what specifically do you not agree with in BJ's book. I have it on order and I am courious. As to your thoughts. :idea:

Al Johnson
11-20-2004, 09:47 PM
A good book that covers all pushrod overhead valve auto engines without specific information for any single model is Tom Monroe's "Engine Builder's Handbook."

Good solid useful information on how to rebuild, and when and why to rebuild. Includes how to measure for clearances, how to disassemble and assemble, just tons of basic information that you would never have if you haven't rebuilt an entire engine before. Some info on hotrodding, but mostly basic how-to.

tufcj
11-21-2004, 04:38 PM
His oiling mods include adding a .050" hole in the galley plug on the right side to spray the back side of the timing gear. He also adds a deeper plug with a .200" hole to restrict oil to the left (driver) side lifters. He says that is to increase pressure to the right side that feeds the mains, but I think with a good oil pump, and the valley bypass line, you'll be fine.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad