PDA

View Full Version : 220 Volt outlet problem....

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Lifted79CJ7
11-21-2004, 02:23 PM
OK, so I picked up a used dryer and washer from an estate sale (Score!), got it home, hauled the dryer upstairs (Holy cow that is a task!), and I ran into this problem:

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/guest/view/picture.do;jsessionid=aZnED4fPmWwg?lsdb=7&invite=TEJm4O5ePYarhUpzL8oL&subretailerid=SPRINTPCS&shareName=Photo&retailerid=SPRINTPCS

Three prong plug and 4 prong outlet. Is there an adapter or do I need to switch out the outlet?

Any help would be appreciated!!
Jack

tufcj
11-21-2004, 04:44 PM
My dryer outlet looks just like your dryer plug. Someone must have swapped in a non-standard outlet. I'd swap the outlet. Make sure you turn off the breakers, 220 can be lethal.

Bob
tufcj

Lifted79CJ7
11-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks Bob, That is what I plan on doing. I did recieve this email from a fellow Jeeper:

"Jack,
Switch the breaker off and change the outlet. Looks
like a NEMA 10-30P on the dryer, and a 14-30R
receptacle. Both are 30A, but the receptacle has a
neutral
http://www.leviton.com/sections/techsupp/nema.htm
Jeff"

And now I know what to get at Home Depot! Boy, I'ma gonna sounda ed-ga-ma-kated when I walk in there!!

Jack
(Electrical burn pictures to soon follow)

W.T.Sumner
11-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Sometimes the wires to the 220 recepticle ar stapled real short in the wall making a change difficult. It might be easier to change the dryer cord. I never understood the 4 prong outlet when the ground and nuetral tie in together anyway.

Lifted79CJ7
11-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Good point. Plus I think that I would rather work on an unplugged dryer rather than a 220 volt line (even if it is cut off at the box, just seems safer to me).

Ratman
11-22-2004, 12:53 PM
I never understood the 4 prong outlet when the ground and nuetral tie in together anyway
They are tied together but should only do so at the main panel.
that is where the ground is also tied to a ground rod.
You could change either the cord set or the wall outlet.
If you do change the outlet let me know we distribute Marinco products and I can get you a good price.

Goose
11-22-2004, 02:25 PM
I ran in to the same problem.. I changed the dryer cord.. See I'm one of those guys ..I fear nothing I can get my hands on or see coming..but Electricity?? Ohhhh no thank you, you cant hear, see or smell it coming but once it's got you it's up to luck and if your out of luck bring on the bbq sauce.

To quote the French.."I make zee watair in my pants"

Lifted79CJ7
11-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Well I made my roommate go pick up the cord today while I am at work. So tonight I will be installing it. Just a question though, I am on the Jeep-L list and had this information given to me -

Chris,
Where would this be in the NEC? If the dryer has no provision for a neutral (what that 4th conductor is in the outlet on the wall), where should he terminate it at the dryer?

If your local jurisdiction is requiring a neutral on the dryer outlets, do you have any info as to why?

Just curious - the only reason to have a neutral on an outlet like that would be if the dryer needed 110V - which most use an internal transformer to create.
Jeff

Change the cord. More than likely the electrical code in your area calls for a 4-prong plug. Most areas have been requiring 4-prongs on new construction for some time. Pretty much all areas require them for new modular and prefab homes.

If you botch the job and burn the house down, your ins company may not pay when they find you altered the wiring so it didn't meet code. This happened to a friend after he installed an addition without pulling a permit or installing the wiring to code. Of course using extension cords in the walls instead of romex was a dead giveaway.

The cord is usually about $1 cheaper than the receptable and far easier
to change. Should be a diagram under the cover where the dryer cord connects via screw terminals. Ten minute job once you have the new cord
and screwdriver in hand.

I think K-Mart even carries the cords.

-Chris

My only question is where do I hook up the neutral wire, or I would imagine that it is safe to just not hook the neutral up since the dryer was orignially designed not to use one. Anyone care to chime in before I burn down my house?

Thanks,
Jack

rollen dean montoya
11-22-2004, 08:02 PM
the plug looks like the plugs we have at boeing. houses have no need for this unless you have a king size air compressor like my dad has in his garage.

W.T.Sumner
11-23-2004, 05:46 AM
If you get the 4 prong cord it will have a green wire that is the ground. red wire and black wire are hot and a wite wire that is nuetral . back of the dryer will have a connection with just 3 studs . hook the black and red to the left and right studs and the white wire to the center. there should be a green screw close to the others that you hook the green wire to.

W.T.Sumner
11-23-2004, 05:52 AM
Just curious - the only reason to have a neutral on an outlet like that would be if the dryer needed 110V - which most use an internal transformer to create.
This guy has no clue about 220 voltage . the red and black wires are 110 apiece equalling 220 . you don't need any kind of transformer to get 110, you just pull off of 1 side.

Lifted79CJ7
11-24-2004, 11:06 AM
LOL, I'm a dork. The machine had instructions written on the back. I just
picked up a new cord and wired it up. There is a jumper strip that goes from the neutral to the ground. I just removed the jumper and hooked up all four wires. W.T.'s explinantion is right on the money. It was really easy to swap.

Anywho, I then proceeded to run a test wash and dry cycle with no clothes in it. All was OK. I then loaded up the first load and walked way. I ran upstairs in excitement to change the load to the dryer and as I rounded the corner to flip the light switch (again, I was running), my foot slipped toe first under the door frame (wedged between the rough door bottom and floor) and I landed in a puddle of water.

Ouch.

I looked up and realized that the drain had come out of the wall and unloaded everywhere. I walked downstairs to tell my roommates what happened and noticed the ceiling....and the walls.....crap. I can see the tape line for every sheet of drywall. Dang it. This is a one year old house.

Anywho, all appears dry today and I have everything jury rigged so it will
work correctly. What a fiasco!!

Jack

PS-What I did due for a temporary fix was wrap a coathanger around the top of the hose and around the cold water outlet and then stuck the long end of the unwrapped coathanger down the hole to hold it in. Works
really well untill I can get something more perminent. I also forgot to
level it. I will have to do that tonight.

Bulltear Ad