PDA

View Full Version : engine popping through carb after timing chain swap

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

tacoman
12-06-2004, 09:05 PM
ok i dont remember where iposted this but my 360 in my 77 cherokee was popping through the carb after i changed the timing chain,
well after doing all of my other crap trying to figure it out i started pulling pushrods and the number 2 cylinder had 2 bent pushrods and the lifter on the intake port is destroyed so i got some from a salvage yard to see if that fixes it before i order a new vcam and lifters so when i change it illpost an update so lets hope it works, taco

jeepsr4ever
12-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Take the timing cover off and re install the chain.... Sounds like you may have lined up the keyways and not the timing marks

tacoman
12-07-2004, 09:54 PM
no i verified the timing marks on 3 different occasions.
the damage happened when the chain originally skipped 3 teeth on the cam sprocket before i replaced it

rollen dean montoya
12-09-2004, 07:45 PM
ouch! let us know how it goes.
later, rollen :lo1l:

tacoman
12-09-2004, 09:01 PM
i shall, i will be working on it sun and or monday weather permitting.
i live in st louis and it has been rather nice here but ill have to see what the weather man says the ignore it because i live in st louis and they are usually very wrong

mrtazwrench
12-09-2004, 09:55 PM
i had a simmilar thing, not really poping through carb, but a cyl went down, the DSPO had replaced the chain, and it had bent pushrods, one finally broke, replaced the broken one and all the bent with used ran ok after that. :t:

tacoman
12-12-2004, 09:26 PM
well folks i took the intake off today to replace the lfter that was destroyed.
i got that fixed but low and behold there were bentpushrods on every intake valve throughout the whole motor so now i must get new pushrods or atleast more of the junkyard pushrods.
after i get the thing to run and not tear upparts its going to get a cam and lifters and an intake.

one more thing that is kinda funny but sad in a way
i took my girlfriend to buy a ring for christmas and wound up spending less for the ring than i did for the carb i put on the jeep. sad huh lol

XJ-001
01-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Don't know if you've got it fixed yet, but usually when the timing chain skips it can also bend the valves. I had this happen on a 74 Wagoneer with a 360. Put the timing chain in, replaced the push rods (no lifter damage) but it still would pop and had no power. Ended up pulling the heads and found that the valves had 'Kissed' the pistons enough to keep them from seating. Had to have the heads rebuilt. Of course, this was a high-mileage engine, so it was due for a valve job anyway. And of course, it happened right around Christmas-time. Good Luck!

Tom

tacoman
01-03-2005, 07:58 PM
no the engine runs great and has a ton of power so i doubt it bent a valve.
believe me since i worked on an A/fuel dragster making almost 5 thousand horsepower ive seen a bent valve or ten lol

XJ-001
01-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Glad to hear it didn't need valves! You got luckier than I did LOL!

mrtazwrench
01-03-2005, 09:18 PM
mine came out well to after i got pushrods out of one of my spare motors. :t:

Bulltear Ad