PDA

View Full Version : Time has come

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mudrat
12-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Time to get the parts together to rebuild my daughters 4.2L. Nothing monsterous since it's her first car, not much off road yet), but the rear main is toast (1/4 inch of crank walk) and leaking into a pan in my driveway. Figured over Christmas break she can help me overhaul her motor and learn how it works.

Other than the rear main, don't know the condition of the rest of it, but I'm looking at a better than stock breather that still develops off road torq without killing over all on-road efficiency. Plan on replacing all the valves etc. and maybe a porting job. When she gets used to this I'll probably swap in intake and headers under a better carb.

Suggestions on whole kits? Pieces parts? Etc. I know I need to see what the walls look like after 118K on the clock, but it runs now (smokes a bit on startup) but makes a hell-uv-a-noise when driving!!

Mudrat

eight
12-12-2004, 09:55 PM
See if you can find a 4.0 head. Even if you don't use the fuel injection it'll still make more power. I've found rebuildable ones for less than $50.

Compression ratio is somethin terrible like 8.3:1. Just more of a reason to do a full rebuild and replace those pistons.

I wish I knew what cam is in my brother's jeep. The PO said it was 2 sizes above stock. The power band is too high, doesn't come on good untill 2500, and it'll spin above 5000 still pulling strong.

pyagid
12-13-2004, 07:55 AM
I agree with Eight. If you could find a 4.0 head, swap that one during the rebuild

here is a good right up on it
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm

-Paul

fuzz401
12-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Mudrat if I was closer I would come help you never done a 6cyl but plenty of v-8

Mudrat
12-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Mudrat if I was closer I would come help you never done a 6cyl but plenty of v-8
Thanks Fuzz, it's only 3/4 the work :shock: 8)

4.0 head .... :-| read about that swap, never done it might be worth a try. But remember, this is going on a 16 year old first Jeep (car) Needs to be reliable and I want her to learn to handle this before she goes hog wild with power. She already likes my Hemi WAYYYYYYY too much :!:

TXS
Mudrat

Lifted79CJ7
12-13-2004, 11:00 AM
If you want, I can swing by UWI to see what head selections they have. They always have plenty of Cherokees over there - and you can get a complete 4.0 (without any accessories) for ~$150.00. Anywho, lemme know!!
Jack

Mudrat
12-13-2004, 11:34 AM
If you want, I can swing by UWI to see what head selections they have. They always have plenty of Cherokees over there - and you can get a complete 4.0 (without any accessories) for ~$150.00. Anywho, lemme know!!
Jack
A long block with harness!!! Lets do it!! Look for a 360 and tranny/x-fer while your there. If we can get the 360, I'll put my 4.2 in hers and jet down the Webber. Like I said, she LOVES the peddle in the Hemi and I want her to get used to flying solo before I turn her loose with too much HP (yes there is such athing with a 16 YO - remember how you (well I was anyway) were then??? Times haven't changed much, just the price of gas :? )

Mudrat :mrgreen:
Whoo Hoo back on the first page at Top4x4 - now get out and VOTE ya'll!!

pyagid
12-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Look for a 360 and tranny/x-fer while your there. If we can get the 360,

Whoo Hoo back on the first page at Top4x4 - now get out and VOTE ya'll!!

I have a 360 sitting in my garage you could have. It needs a rebuild only b/c it was left outside and there is rust on the cyl. walls. There is barely any ridge on it though

-Paul

Dusty
12-13-2004, 03:48 PM
a well built 4.2 can get you in just as much trouble as a V-8 maybe a well built 304 or 360 with a mild cam and 2bbl carb would be right up the alley? Email or PM me Pat and i'll donate the V-8 mounts to you if you think that that might be an avenue you want to pursue with her. in college my gutless 304 had less spank than one of the guys in the dorm's 4.2 but i got better mileage go figure :oops:

Mudrat
12-13-2004, 05:47 PM
I have a 360 sitting in my garage you could have. It needs a rebuild only b/c it was left outside and there is rust on the cyl. walls. There is barely any ridge on it though

-Paul
Short block with crank and pistons? (maybe a set of heads???) {just askin} What's freight on something like that? It'd be a hard 2 day push and about $180 in fuel in the truck (1160 miles round trip to NLON). Or lets invade Fuzz!!! He's about 1/2 way in Lancaster and I'll pay your gas!! :t:

a well built 4.2 can get you in just as much trouble as a V-8 maybe a well built 304 or 360 with a mild cam and 2bbl carb would be right up the alley? Email or PM me Pat and i'll donate the V-8 mounts to you if you think that that might be an avenue you want to pursue with her. in college my gutless 304 had less spank than one of the guys in the dorm's 4.2 but i got better mileage go figure :oops:
Thanks Dusty, I'll deffinately keep that in mind if Paul and I can make a swap of sorts.
I had a very well built 350 in a 75 CJ5 - wheelies in all 3 and U-joints once a month 111!!! Had about 3 bills in the motor (1979 dollars) when I took it end-over-end in the desert. :roll:

Mudrat

fuzz401
12-13-2004, 06:53 PM
meet half way here if you need a set of heads I can come up with a set
and I was busy today too
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/fuzzcj7/IMG_0531.jpg

Lifted79CJ7
12-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Well Pat, if none of that works out, lemme know and we can swing by there and pick this stuff up. Do grab the frame horns though. They are kinda tough to come by. Were UWI gets you are all the accesories. I wish I hadn't moved so much, cause at one point I had 3 AMC V8's with all the accessories. I can help ya with all the work on the V8 as well (Don't know my way around the 258 like you do!). They usually have a wagoneer or two laying around(heck, they have even had a few eagle wagons and a gremlin there once too), so I can stop by and see what they have for ya. Lemme know if you want a road trip buddy, also!

PS - Fuzz - Lookin good!!

pyagid
12-14-2004, 01:38 PM

-Paul
Short block with crank and pistons? (maybe a set of heads???) {just askin} What's freight on something like that? It'd be a hard 2 day push and about $180 in fuel in the truck (1160 miles round trip to NLON). Or lets invade Fuzz!!! He's about 1/2 way in Lancaster and I'll pay your gas!! :t:

Mudrat
I have everything minus exhaust manifolds and carb. I may be able to come up with those though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/pyagid/360/DSC00234.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/pyagid/360/DSC00232.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/pyagid/360/DSC00229.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/pyagid/360/DSC00211.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/pyagid/360/DSC00209.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/pyagid/360/DSC00207.jpg

I have no clue what freight would be. I could look it up though
-Paul

Mudrat
12-14-2004, 04:59 PM
I have no clue what freight would be. I could look it up though
-Paul
Finger is hovering over the paypal button (if it's resonable) :lo1l: But then again, it's about 5 hours to Fuzz's place (I thnk) ... :razz:

Thanks Paul, take the weight and see what it would cost to clear some space in your shop :idea:

Pat =D>

jeepsr4ever
12-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Now thats a cylinder that looks like it took a big gulp of water....

Mudrat getting another V8....cats and dogs living together..my oh my

Dusty
12-14-2004, 05:21 PM
so when do you want the motor mounts?

Mudrat
12-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Mudrat getting another V8....cats and dogs living together..my oh my
ANOTHER?? You talking about the wifes 'Burbon and my Hemi tow-rig I guess :shock: :t:

What you got on the shelf to support a 360? Or should I get the latest PAW catalog ? :-|

rollen dean montoya
12-14-2004, 11:55 PM
ok mudrat, what's wrong with a 16y.o. having some h.p. under the right
foot? my dad and i built a buick 455 and stuffed it in a 67 firebird.
it was north of 500 hp. and 500fp.torque. and i was 15.it was my 1st
engine build.then dad decided to give me a driving lesson. 200ft smokey
burnout just to try to blow the motor up :shock:

Bulltear Ad