PDA

View Full Version : CJ7 advice needed

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

K.WesleyII
12-19-2004, 12:12 AM
I have acquired a 1984 CJ7 258 5speed wide track and I would like to change it over to a 360 auto.I think I have all the V8 stuff(frame/motor mounts) and I have access to a 1980 J10 wide track that is a 258 auto.Since all AMC 6 and 8 cylinder bellhousings are the same(after 1974 or 1976) would this be a easy swap or am I missing something?It would be cheaper for me to use the transfer case from the cj if possible.Both vehicals are stock.The engine will be a stock 360 so I think the auto trans will hold up after a rebuild.Or are there any easier ways to accomplish my goal.This will not be a toy to beat on just reliable transportation to and from the river cabin.Thanks for all the wisdom,advice and bandwidth Keith

pyagid
12-19-2004, 07:40 AM
It sounds like you plan will work. The only problem I could see is, you will need a flexplate balanced for the 360, that also bolts upto the torque converter of the auto transmission you are using. Do you know what auto tranny is in the J-10? I have 2 flexplates off or 360's, 1 for a TF727, one for a th400 if either will work for you.

Otherwise everything should be a fairly straight foward bolt in as you said. The only other thing going from a 6cyl to a v8 is the fuel feed line is on the passenger side of the 6, and driver side of the 8. mine i just ran a piece of rubber hose around to the mechanical fuel pump. Also if you have a stock amc20 rear axle with the stock 2 piece shafts, make sure you keep the nut properly torqued or you will end up spinning the hub. (i did it to mine driving hard on the street after installing the 360) It was just tought to stay off the gas :mrgreen:

-Paul

K.WesleyII
12-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the info.I was hoping that the flex plate off the car motor would work(since it had a 727 trans) and the trans in the J10 is definately not a turbo400.How many different transfer cases did AMC use.I can not do a side by side comparision of the transfer cases.I don't want to tear the CJ down until I have all the pieces to do the transfer and I don't want to buy the transfer case because I can't get a refund.And the j10 is sitting in a mud puddle with no bed or hood on it.I was also looking around and I can't find the motor side of the mounts.Is there any car(hornet/gremlin) that I can get that side of the mount as I am familiar with AMC and I know alot of the parts went from cars into jeeps.Over the years I have spun many of axels in cars with model 20 rearends.Where is the best deal on the CJ model20 1 peice axels and a wiring harness.I think my cj is computer control and will need one for the conversion.Thanks for the bandwidth Keith

Lifted79CJ7
12-19-2004, 03:08 PM
This page will help you identify what parts you might have:
http://www.jeeptech.com/wiki/index.php/Main

For one piece axles, MC (The moderator here - Jeepsr4ever) had a special for a while. Also try Tigger at www.tapoffroad.com. He's on the board here - maybe he can cut you a good deal. If you are swapping in the 360, get rid of all the CJ computer junk.

Hope this helps,
Jack

tufcj
12-21-2004, 09:03 AM
I'm pretty sure the Jeep CJ V-8 motor mounts are unique to the CJ. I know for a fact that the Wagoneer/truck ones are too short. The ones on my AMX are very similar to the Wagoneer, so I'd imagine all car mounts are too short. You might look at the "bombproof" ones from M.O.R.E. ( www.mountainoffroad.com ) , that's what I run on my CJ. I've heard that the I-6 mounts can be adapted by flipping them somehow, but I've never seen it.

Bob
tufcj

fuzz401
12-21-2004, 09:06 AM
the block mounts and the pass side frame mounts are only cj style fsj will not work

Bulltear Ad