PDA

View Full Version : My newest scheme...

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Lifted79CJ7
12-21-2004, 10:48 AM
I am sooo sick of not being able to drive my Jeep (Getting held up by the whole 401 rebuild expense), I think I am just going to go hit the local U Wrench It, and yank a 360 block/crank/pistons/heads/crank (thats a short block - right?) and run my edelbrock intake and carb on it until I can get my 401 together. I believe I should be able to yank one for under $200. Pat, wanna come with and maybe we can yank two at the same time? I am thinking I will do this around February. Also if I yank it from a Waggy, I can get the 360/727 flexplate as well and be ready to run it around the block a couple times.

Now my real questions come in the form of easy ways to check if this is a good engine without blowing a whole day yanking a bad core. I figure check compression, drop the oil pan and look at some bearings also. Anyone else have some words for the wise?????

Jack

jeepsr4ever
12-21-2004, 11:07 AM
the sound of it...does it smoke...does it have any power...leak any fluids..compression? oil pressure?

Ran when pulled means core in my book...unless its a very good friend who was selling.

Lifted79CJ7
12-21-2004, 11:30 AM
That's the thing, it's at a U Wrench It, there are no conditions of why that car is there is unknown. There is no fuel tank or batteries to test these, so it makes ya kinda wonder. My thought was spend $200 getting the jeep running just to take it around the block. For my 401, I still need to purchase a bunch of stuff:
Stainless valves and locks, polish the heads, 3 angle valve job, all the machine work to the block/crank/heads, pistons, rings, etc.

So any other suggestions for what to look for the fastest? I will be outside in the cold on a bed of rocks/gravel, so the less time I spend there the better!

Jack

Dusty
12-21-2004, 12:05 PM
you're starting to sound like me :(: gravel driveway, wet, cold and a 401 still sitting in the garage after almost a year

Lifted79CJ7
12-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Well I finally have a garage to work on it in, so I am just happy about that. Here is a pic of where it sits today (busted windshield and all)....

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/guest/view/large.do;jsessionid=a7WORIy4X_Od?machineid=pcs003&elementID=49513214597&invite=TEammWYT7k7bIa7z0hzU

oh yeah, and I need to get some high steer to get rid of this ghetto fab job....
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/guest/view/large.do;jsessionid=aGa7FG0gOJd8?machineid=pcs003&elementID=49513399173&invite=XEymmvYj7khFl7j800L0

Jack

Mudrat
12-21-2004, 01:27 PM
I believe I should be able to yank one for under $200. Pat, wanna come with and maybe we can yank two at the same time? I am thinking I will do this around February. Also if I yank it from a Waggy, I can get the 360/727 flexplate as well and be ready to run it around the block a couple times.

Jack
Yup - think they'll give us a two-fer? 2 complete engines/tranny's for the $$ of one?

Pat

tufcj
12-21-2004, 01:49 PM
A short block doesn't include heads. You want heads, you'll be buying a long block.

Suggestions at a u-pull is to get it out, pull the pan and valve covers (and maybe intake). Look for ANY metal in the pan, and sludge in the valve covers and lifter area. Sludge is a sure sign of a poorly cared for engine. You'll probably want to replace any of the gaskets you'd break while checking anyway. If the vehicle still has a dash, look at the odometer, it will give you a good idea whether it has 70K or 170K. I got a good low mile (57K) 401 from a yard like that, best thing was it was only $75 :lo1l: :lo1l: . It was a q-trak Wagoneer with a broken front axle, so it wouldn't move. Owner figured transmission or t-case without looking, and scrapped it.

I did the same thing with my CJ when it was my daily driver. I broke a piston in the stock 304, couldn't afford a rebuild on any engine. A buddy gave me a 360 (In it now) but it needed a rebuild. I bummed money from my folks, and bought a yard 304 for $100 and ran it for a couple of years until the 360 was built. It was easier for them to lend me money than their car so I could get to work.

BTW - That steering is SCARY. :!: :!: Please don't tell me you drove it like that. :razz: :razz: 111!!!

Bob
tufcj

Lifted79CJ7
12-21-2004, 02:03 PM
BTW - That steering is SCARY. :!: :!: Please don't tell me you drove it like that. :razz: :razz: 111!!!

I'm dumb, but not that dumb!! I just fabbed that up to be able to get it on and off a trailer and around the driveway easily. Not taking that thing on the road!

Had a buddy who ran a setup like that and I warned him and warned him until it finally broke on him. Lucky bastard was turning in the parking lot, so noone was hurt. He's lucky he didnt kill himself!

As for the 360, I am gonna go run by there right now to see what they have available. Hopefully they will have some good candidates. Pat - I will price all this stuff out for us.

Jack

Mudrat
12-21-2004, 06:21 PM
As for the 360, I am gonna go run by there right now to see what they have available. Hopefully they will have some good candidates. Pat - I will price all this stuff out for us.

Jack
Wait'n on numbers and when ever you get back. Hopefully it won't be raining/snowing and above 50 =D>

Mdurat

Lifted79CJ7
12-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Well I stopped by there today and they only had one Waggy. It was an 84 sold at Hall Chrysler/Jeep at somepoint. Maybe we can get some info on it from them. Anywho, it was in pretty rough shape but everything was there except the distributor. Looks like front end damage is why it was ditched. It did have oil dripping from somewhere (was all over the oil pan but could have been from them prepping the engine for the yard). Here are some pics from my crapy camera phone:
8)
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/guest/view/thumbnails.do?invite=BEzmmRzy87YaukGYUUn0

Here are a couple other random pics from the yard:
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/guest/view/thumbnails.do?invite=NEUmmtzq87Uaq79khQIL

As for prices, it was $149.99 + 35.00 core charge for an engine with all accessories (starter, alternator, water pump, distributor, etc). This price does not include a flywheel/flexplate. Not too shabby!! This engine even had the A/C pump which you could use for OBA or A/C if ya want.

See you kids on the 29th! I'm off to Nashville!! Keep voting!!
Jack

tufcj
12-22-2004, 03:37 PM
With almost 200K on the clock, I think I'd pass on that one unless I could see that it had been rebuilt at some point.

I almost picked up a 360 a couple of weeks ago at the local u-pull-it. It was clean and still had stickers from a remanufacturing company on it. The wife decided I didn't need another engine in the garage. :-| I already have a 401 and a 390 in the corner. :t:

Penguin
12-23-2004, 08:49 AM
With almost 200K on the clock, I think I'd pass on that one unless I could see that it had been rebuilt at some point.

I almost picked up a 360 a couple of weeks ago at the local u-pull-it. It was clean and still had stickers from a remanufacturing company on it. The wife decided I didn't need another engine in the garage. :-| I already have a 401 and a 390 in the corner. :t:
Dang, see that is why I am not married. I would have bought it because it was a good deal and rebuilt it. One can always find a use for a 360. :t:

tufcj
12-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Oh, it's not that bad. She understands my hobbies, and puts up with a lot. If it weren't for her moderation I'd have 2 garages full of spare parts (no rooms for cars), and not a penny in the bank. She keeps me from getting carried away by my obsessions. That's why I keep her.

Bob
tufcj

Mudrat
12-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Oh, it's not that bad. She understands my hobbies, and puts up with a lot. If it weren't for her moderation I'd have 2 garages full of spare parts (no rooms for cars), and not a penny in the bank. She keeps me from getting carried away by my obsessions. That's why I keep her.

Bob
tufcj
Sounds like my wife as well.

Mudrat

Bulltear Ad