PDA

View Full Version : York OBA oil output

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

diddycj5
12-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Wondering if anyone else has issues with their york OBA pumping out the oil.

Last summer I installed a york OBA using a compressor I got off ebay that was NOS and still in the box and had never turned over. I did not install a coalescing filter since they are about $70 and wanted to see how bad the oil output is first. I did use an small moisture filter - like the ones for a small shop air-compressor. However, when I fire up the compressor it spits out about 1 ounce of oil after airing up 3-4 tires. It also seems to put out more oil when the compressor is first turned on and after it has warmed up it puts out less oil.

I know that the york compressors tend to output some oil, but this seems excessive. The excessive oil output makes my OBA not very useful as I have to keep empting the oil out of the system after every few minutes of operation.

I have checked the type of york compressor for correct right hand suction for my application. The only things I can think of is that:
1. All york compressors loose this much oil and I need to pony up the $$ for the right filter
2. Since my compressor was NOS maybe the piston rings still need to seat and break-in
3. My compressor is boned and I need to rebuilt it.

tufcj
12-23-2004, 01:19 PM
The compressor is working correctly. When it's used as an A/C compressor, it holds the oil in suspension in the refrigerant to lube the upper cylinders. There is actually an oil passage between the crankcase and head.

I had a problem with too much oil too, some people don't. I did the fix described on this page to my compressor.

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html

Bob
tufcj

diddycj5
12-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks for info. I did a fair amount of online research about york OBA and never came accross the modification. I figured the the oil output was normal considering the closed system for air conditioning, but wondered if the ammount was normal. I will definitely go ahead and do this before wheelin season next year.

Bulltear Ad