PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie out

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

nate_o23
12-25-2004, 06:28 PM
OK I have a 88 Grand Wagoneer with the all too common low oil oressure problem. At start up its OK but once it gets warm it goes way down. When its warm and at idle its at zero. What I would like to know is, whats the easiest way to fix this?? There is no ticking or knocking coming from the engine and I would like to keep it that way! What I had figured on doing was pull the TC cover and rebuilding the pump and changing the chain and water pump while I have it apart. Does this sound right? Is the Edelbrock timing chain any good?? Any other advice? Thanks!

Littlewolf
12-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Sounds to me like you got a bad sending unit change it first . i had the same trouble on my 77 cherokee . try that first alot cheaper to start with.

Goose
12-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Hey Nate Welcome.. Do try the sending unit first, But If that isnt it.. You can go back over some of the msgs on this topic "amc oiling" and find a lot of good info. I went through this same scenario a couple months ago and found the bearings were just flat worn out..

nate_o23
12-27-2004, 06:11 PM
OK I bought a mech oil press gage today to verify my oil press. Where is the best place to hook this up?

Goose
12-28-2004, 03:59 AM
Pull your oil pressure sending unit and put it in there.. (under the alternator (it's actually easier to do if you flop the alt out of the way))
But take this bit of advice.. Disconnect the battery cable first! ask me how I know this and I'll show you the burn marks on my wrench and my wedding ring..

nate_o23
01-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the help Goose! I put the mech oil press gage on today. I got 35 psi ,warmed up at 1/2 throttle and 8 psi at idle. Its better then what my stock gage was saying but still not great. Is this good enough pressure to keep driving? Or is it rebuild time? Thanks

fuzz401
01-01-2005, 05:14 PM
it could be the pil pump or the frount cam bearing has opened up to let to much oil pass through it

Goose
01-01-2005, 08:40 PM
I can only offer an opinion, so here it is.. When I went through this a few months ago My oil pressure numbers were similar. My engine had a lot of miles on it but ran good other than oil pressure. I tried putting a new pump in it and it made little to no difference I then pulled the pan and a a main and rod bearing, They were just flat worn out. I would recommend pulling the pan and having a look. If you think about it what would wear an oil pump or the aluminum housing out is going to do worse to the bearings. and unless it is something simple like a sending unit . Rings and bearings are a small price to pay now rather than a new crank or worse later. Now the discalimer.. I have seen a lot of engines (amc ) live a long time with pressures this low, but for me I would be continually worrying when it was going to shell out on me..

tufcj
01-02-2005, 09:12 AM
When my CJ developed a low hot oil pressure, it turned out to be the #4 cam bearing. All the coating had just flaked off. I've seen that problem on more than one AMC V-8 I've rebuilt. It resulted in about a 20 PSI drop across all RPM ranges when hot, and almost 0 at idle. Bad news is the parts went thru the motor, and scored the main and rod bearings. Probably time for a look and a rebuild. Any bearing parts should be easy to see in the bottom of the pan.

Bob
tufcj

73hornut
01-03-2005, 10:53 PM
How much pressure do people think an engine needs at hot IDLE? Where not talking high rpm here. If the pressure is over 0 and consistent, no problem.
When the pressure changes dramaticly in a short amount of time, then I would check into it. Have you tried running thicker oil? Have you checked the oil level?

nate_o23
01-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks for al the help/info! I think for the time being I am going to live with the pressure the way it is but start saving up for an engine rebuild. I have a somewhat related question. When I put on the mech. oil gage I managed to kink the cheap, chinsey hose that came with it about 3 times and ended up with only 2ft of good hose. Anyone know of a good replacement for this hose? One that wont kink? I dont know the diameter but it is small.

pyagid
01-07-2005, 06:18 PM
You could usually goto any autoparts store, and ask for either plastic, or copper oil pressure line. I would go with the copper. It sucks when the plastic line breaks and starts shooting oil all over the place...Took me a couple times until i actually fixed it correctly by getting the copper line

-Paul

tufcj
01-09-2005, 09:39 AM
1/8" flexible tubing. I also went to copper when the plastic split due to heat and age. Sprayed oil all over the exhaust and engine, made it look like one of those WWII smoke generator Jeeps. You should be able to find it at any auto parts or bigger hardware store. You'll need new ferrules too (the little brass rings) if you've tightened them down. They seal by compressing down on the tube.

Bulltear Ad