PDA

View Full Version : BUILDING A STOCK AMC 401

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Brett Polwell
12-30-2004, 12:49 PM
A few months ago I was lucky enough to find a guy who had a new crate AMC 401 short block in his shop. He used to race jeeps in the BAJA in the mid 80's and this motor was left over and never taken out of the wrapping. After some negotiations I was able to buy it and now I am trying to gather parts to put it together.

I have a 1975 401 that I am stealing parts from but I hate to put 30 year old rockers, valve springs, and push rods in a new motor.

My question is where is the most economical place to buy these parts that are of good quality. For example I have located summit push rods for around $30 but when I call they tell me my head should have a stud style head and actually argue with me when I tell them I have the bridge stile. Needless to say that was not a confidence booster.

My goal is to just put together a fairly reliable stock 401 to put into my Wrangler.

I would also take offers on the 401 short block and bare heads I took out of a 1975 J20 pickup.

jeepsr4ever
12-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Summit techs sometimes only go off the information in their computer and are told to guide the customer in their purchase. You can buy the stock HD pushrods from them and lifters/cam set.

fuzz401
12-30-2004, 03:19 PM
you can tell them 73 was the last year for the stud rocker heads any thing after that was bridged rockers

JMSII
12-30-2004, 08:15 PM
If MC doesn't have what you need I would go to E-bay. You see that stuff there all the time!

Mudrat
12-30-2004, 09:38 PM
Read the EBAY thread, then the comments about whomever may have the part your looking for. Lotsa folks getting burned lately, here and on other boards. I'll find out in a few day if I got ripped off on EBAY.

Mudrat

gremlin boys
12-31-2004, 07:22 AM
i buy and sell alot on ebay, buy mostly amc stuff, sell many diffrent things including amc parts sometimes, check us out varneys-veranda, i am sorry to hear that some of you are being ripped off. if you are buying something from ebay allways look at the feed back, ask alot of ? and do a little research, if there are some parts on ebay you are interested in and are not sure write me a pm i have been in the amc world since 1979 and have had dealings with most of these guy many times or my amc friends have, i will find out what i can if the guy is reliable and are his parts good. Don

Brett Polwell
01-01-2005, 05:13 PM
I talked to the right guy at summit Friday and was able to order the rocker a bridge kits for a lot less then I have found anywhere else. Thanks for the help.

I am a little nervous after reading about the summit came in one of the other threads though. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I spent all day Friday tearing down the short block and cleaning. As soon as I get my parts from summit and my new nickle plated timing cover I'll be good to go.

Bulltear Ad