Member "401"'s CJ heater from a wagoneer

http://bulltear.imgbay.com/Cjheat.jpg
http://bulltear.imgbay.com/Cjheat3.jpg

jeepsr4ever
01-03-2005, 08:27 PM
http://bulltear.imgbay.com/A%20903.JPG

mrtazwrench
01-03-2005, 09:21 PM
that's why i got people asking for a/c units, and talking about heat, i thought i or they were confused. :t:

Lifted79CJ7
01-03-2005, 09:34 PM
:-|

A/C compatible/will it fit?

L84MUDN
01-04-2005, 02:38 PM
that's why i got people asking for a/c units, and talking about heat, i thought i or they were confused. :t:

8) Ha, Ha - I've been using this for a while. I was just lookin' for one for the stocker I've gotta start driving soon. :? I'm using parts for '85 though - my buddy's call it the SuperHeater (tm) =D>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/jstarsky/superheater.jpg

pyagid
01-04-2005, 03:15 PM
ok so i see the pictures, but where is the how to?

Does some one have a right up on how to do this. I know my wife would be very greatful if i have heat in the cj :mrgreen:

-Paul

L84MUDN
01-04-2005, 03:45 PM
ok so i see the pictures, but where is the how to?

Does some one have a right up on how to do this. I know my wife would be very greatful if i have heat in the cj :mrgreen:

-Paul

Ask and you shall receive. :sa:
Hope it keeps ya warm. Copied from a forum I used to frequent:

It's off the wall, and you do end up cutting up some good parts, but you can get heat from your A/C. Don't let anyone look at you funny. Jeep used a separate A/C until that bolts up under the dash of the CJ. It has it's own 3 stage blower and since it is designed to hold the pressure of compressed Freon, it will more than handle the flow of coolant. Only the cheap plastic air vents could not take the heat.

First, locate one of these A/C units. You'll find them in some pre-86 Waggies too. I don't know if they came in AMC cars. I've found one in a waggie and have seen a few from stock A/C'ed CJs.

There is a valve on the backside of the A/C unit, just as the stock lines go into the unit. Drill this valve out so coolant will free flow thru here. You could try to replace it with straight pipe, but I like the angle to run the heater hose. You can remove the metal line running back across to the switches on the unit, it's for cooling temp, which means nothing now. If you don't have stock A/C you'll have to drill holes for your heater hoses to go thru the firewall. I just uninstalled the a/c lines and ran my hoses thru there. Locate these hoses up as high as you can, these lines are hot now and can burn a bit.

Local parts stores sell heater hose "T"s, but they look more like a Y to me. You'll need two of them, new heater hose and new clamps. If your stock hoses are looking bad, replace them now. The Ts will go in both heater hoses on the passenger side of the block. This split MUST be under the Head or you will not get proper flow to your new heater. Getting the air bubbles out is fun on it's own. Right behind the distributor is where I usually place Ts (I've only done this twice, helped a guy via e-mail once)

Heater hoses inside the cab go to the lines on the unit, one in-one out. The unit attaches on the bottom lip of the dashboard, you might have to drill holes. Look for clearance of your steering column wires, the motor and air intake sit just right of the column. You take this down every time you need to mess with under dash stuff, makes the radio a harder thing to get at. I ran this with a tape player one year, CD the next and never had problems, but it does blow really hot in summer. Good if you ever start overheating, but you're sweatin' I did burn a blower motor up, but replaced it with a 2-stage motor I found at Axman. Same dimensions and cheap.

--------------------
John
'85 CJ7, HEI, TF999 rear discs, 35" MTRs
Extra heat from the A/C

jeepsr4ever
01-04-2005, 03:46 PM
It really is the way to go in a cj :t:

mrtazwrench
01-04-2005, 09:21 PM
i have these a/c units if anyone is looking. :mrgreen:

canuck
02-16-2005, 12:15 PM
MRTAZWRENCH, I'm looking for one. Can you help me out?

mrtazwrench
02-16-2005, 12:45 PM
i'll check colors and condition and get back too you, i have lots going right now so if i take too long let me know. :t:

LEVE
06-19-2005, 11:32 AM
I did this conversion on my 83 CJ7 while living in northern Wisconsin about 7 years ago using the CJ's own underdash AC vent/blower system.

I simply cut the input/output to the heater core and T-ed it into the underdash unit.

It kept the CJ warm down to -40* F. I could then devote the heater to keeping the windows defrosted.

It was nice to drive in the winter with my coat off... and still survive my daily commute to St. Paul.

Yep, it's an easy conversion, and works GREAT!

jeepsr4ever
06-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Leve did you have any midwest AC? Floorboard holes?

LEVE
05-18-2006, 05:42 AM
Leve did you have any midwest AC? Floorboard holes?

Yes, the Jeep was bought from a 3M'er in St. Paul, MN. It was swiss cheese when I bought it. There was lots and lots of rust.

One day the tailgate fell off in the driveway and that was the final straw. I started to rebuild the body. The deeper I got into the OEM panels, the more rust I found.

I ended up removing everything from the cowl back and welding in new panels. That lasted 1 1/2 years before it started to rust again.

I found a used 4WD fiberglass body, fenders, hook and grille in Onalaska, WI and swapped out the body.

When I put the Jeep on a trailer to move to the Palouse area of Washington State I heard a "clunk" and the Jeep started to hop. I found that the rear passenger side leaf spring was so rusted that a 4" section of on of the leafs simply broke and fell on the trailer.

Buying a new Jeep a part at a time has been an adventure.

tarior
05-18-2006, 06:20 PM
But what about the A/C?

LEVE
05-18-2006, 10:24 PM
But what about the A/C?

Midwest AC? that's rust holes in the tub...

jeepsr4ever
05-19-2006, 11:58 AM
But what about the A/C?

Midwest AC? that's rust holes in the tub...

:?

Bulltear Ad