PDA

View Full Version : Best 401 carb swap

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MocKKnighT
01-04-2005, 10:23 PM
I have a 77 chief w/ an 401 w/ an old worn out AFB that the PO put on it. I can't get it to run correctly. I'm looking to replace it w/ a new carb beause I like the pieace of mind of knowing whats on my rig. I have the stock manifold w/ an adapter to the AFB. What carb would u gus recomend for moderate wheeling and DD duty. I'm pretty new to carbs because they were pretty much obsolete by the time i was born. Thanks for all the help in advanced

MocKKnighT
01-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Also, what is a good place to buy carbs? any site's w/ good prices?

tufcj
01-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Check ebay for carbs, both new and used. I've heard people saying good things about the Holley Truck Avenger, and the Edelbrock (which is basically a Carter design). I don't have any experience with either.

For off-road, you can't beat EFI. I have Howell EFI (modified GM TBI) on my CJ. You could also check with MC here on the board for prices on the new Edelbrock port EFI.

Bob
tufcj

MocKKnighT
01-05-2005, 10:47 AM
I wish i had the money for EFI, but i'm a poor college student. So i will check around e-bay. what is a good price for a used truck avenger or edelbrock?

tufcj
01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
You should be able to pick up either used for $100-175. I've seen new Avengers on ebay for $300-400. I just picked up a 750 CFM Edelbrock nearly new in the box with paperwork for $100 at a local swap meet.

Bob
tufcj

RonSon
03-04-2005, 07:27 PM
I was going to buy a truck avenger myself, but a friend told me you can buy the spring loaded needle and seats seperately. I already have a holley vacuum secondary so I might as well try it.I have a wealth of Holley off-road Knowledge at my disposal at work, so hopefully I will learn all of the secrets and the world will be mine and.....uh,my carb will work.

thigh19
03-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Years ago I used the spring loaded needle and seat, worked great in an off-road application. When you find a set, could you send me a part number?

Mudrat
04-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Years ago I used the spring loaded needle and seat, worked great in an off-road application. When you find a set, could you send me a part number?
Ditto - post it up here on the board - we'll give you credit for the 'research'

Mudrat

FSJnovice
04-15-2005, 07:52 PM
yes I would like to know the part number also.

Bulltear Ad