PDA

View Full Version : what oil additives do you run ?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

gremlin boys
01-05-2005, 08:26 AM
we used lucas oil additive in our 360 nitrous motor made a whole season and never had to do more than check the valve lash, i just took the botttom end apart to check bearing wear before i wrap it up for storage, there is no wear at all on any of the bearings i have never seen that in a race motor before, so i am thinking they make a #1 product just wondering what other guys use?

jeepsr4ever
01-05-2005, 02:17 PM
I would classify that as luck. The lucas additive is nothing more than a viscosity index improver so you are running a thicker oil now, thats all it is. It generates more heat by causing more friction. Friction is caused by oil flowing in your engine between bearings and crank or cam areas. The slower the oil flows the more heat is generated. Lucas oil's claim to fame is that it hold more oil in a certain place...this isnt neccesarily good for any motor. Companies like Exxon spend hundreds of millions of dollars to come with blends. We used their engineers for AMC-HD and they taught us alot of key knowledge about oils and additives. 99% of all additives are a scam and nothing more.

gremlin boys
01-05-2005, 02:31 PM
thats good to know mc thanks for the info :t:

tufcj
01-05-2005, 03:20 PM
My dad taught me the value of regular oil changes. He was anal about 3000 mile oil/filter changes and other scheduled maintenance and fluid changes. We had an old 68 Chrysler with a 383 that had over 285,000 miles on it with no internal engine work, ever. The oil was changed at 3000, and other fluids when recommended in the manual. Still ran strong and didn't smoke when we sold it. We pulled one of his old Dodge trucks apart at over 200K (broken piston skirt), and the engine was entirely sludge free. He drove over 50K a year on his job, so reliability was always critical. That worked out to an oil change about every 3 weeks.

I keep all my vehicles the same way, and have never had an oil related failure. I think the regular changes are more important than any additive.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad