PDA

View Full Version : Rear Main Seal

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
01-10-2005, 06:46 PM
O.K. a friend of mine came over because he said his rear main seal was leaking & he knows what he's doing etc. So w/that in mind.

We just finished installing the rear main seal on his 79' (engine, 89 yJ) 258, we removed the oil pan & loosened the crank a little & replaced the seal, done right, wrong.

He left & it was fine until he stopped for gas then he saw oil leaking, I know it's not the new seal.

Could it be the camshaft seal, I've never seen one leak.

Hummmmmm.

Thanks,
RollBar

tufcj
01-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Be sure it's not the valve cover. I've seen them leak so badly down the rear of the block that it looked like a main seal. Also check the PCV system. If things are blocked, pressure in the crankcase will push oil past the best seal.

Bob
tufcj

rollbar
01-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks, We replace the valve cover & gasket a month ago & it's not leaking, I was told it could be the rear of thepan but I haven't seen it yet.

Thanks,

rollbar
01-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Update:

I just got a call & it is the pan gasket, he's gonna reinstall it tomorrow.

I thought he tightened it by hand but he used my air rachet instead he said, I said no air ratchets on the pan gaskets or any as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks everyone,
RollBar

Lifted79CJ7
01-12-2005, 10:08 AM
FYI, I was having the exact same problem (thought it was pan gasket, then thought it was the RMS), but it ended up being the head gasket blew out on the back of the block(small crack). Oil was dribbling straight down. This was on a 2.3L Ford 4 cyl in a ranger, though.
Jack

diddycj5
01-12-2005, 01:22 PM
The best way I have found to determine where the oil is leaking from is to use engine oil dye. You can get it from Napa for ~$3 and it is about 1oz of dye you dump in the engine. Warm up the engine to where it will start leaking and then use a decent black light (~$30 from hardware store), and the dye will light up and show exactly the source of the leak. It works great if you have multiple leaks or if everything is greasy. I've used the dye with great sucess.

I guess they also make dye for coolant/freon/auto-trannies/pwr steering. - pretty much any fluid that can leak. :t:

jeepsr4ever
01-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Ive had all kinds of bad leaks with the 258's from plastic valve covers to leaky gaskets and cracked heads...Ive even had one start on fire every time I stopped. I had to carry a bucket of water when I drove it... 111!!!

Bulltear Ad