PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 Roller Tip Rockers

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

thigh19
01-10-2005, 09:45 PM
I purchased a set of 1.6 Ford Roller Tip Rockers. I was told that I would have to Chevy studs and pushrods. Looking up the #'s in the Jegs catalog, the pushrods are the same part # as AMC and I don't visually see the difference in the rockers. Have I been fed wrong info or is there merit to what I've been told.

jeepsr4ever
01-10-2005, 10:06 PM
You can use ford small block roller rockers as far as pushrod length I am not sure. I can send you a stock one if you think it will help

thigh19
01-10-2005, 11:57 PM
I have many sets of stock ones, but thanx anyway.

tufcj
01-11-2005, 06:18 AM
Which heads are you running? If you have 75 or newer heads with the bridged rockers, you need to have some machine work done to use roller rockers. Only Harland-Sharp makes a bolt-on replacement for the bridged rocker that requires no machining ( http://www.harlandsharp.com/bolton3.htm ).

Generally you need to have the rocker pedestal on the head machined down about .250", you need to add guide plates and hardened pushrods (same length as SBC), and you need to have the bolt holes enlarged from 5/16" to 7/16", and use Chevy style screw in studs.

You can use 70-74 heads that have the Chevy style rockers from the factory by just replacing the studs with a Chevy replacement.

I used Crane Gold rockers on my 390 AMX, a P/N specifically for AMC. I still had to use a pushrod .100" longer than stock to center the tip of the roller on the top of the valve.

Bob
tufcj

thigh19
11-27-2009, 05:36 PM
What about 1:7 ratio?

Goose
08-11-2010, 11:12 PM
So the older AMC heads are a single non bridged rocker??
Meaning they are adjustable? The reason i ask is the cams I am looking at for the 1969 290 are all requiring adjustable rockers.

tufcj
08-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Up to 73, AMC used a GM style rocker, BUT, they aren't adjustable from the factory. You just run the nut down on a shoulder on the stud to a set torque.

They are easily made adjustable using small block chevy studs and nuts available in the aftermarket. I used ARP SBC studs with extra height for stud girdles and a set of generic "cool nuts" on my AMX.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad