PDA

View Full Version : high pinon dana 44

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jerry
01-10-2005, 11:14 PM
I am going to try and to make a high pinon for my cj5. I was going to use the gear out of a front end and turn my over. I will have to plug one hole and cut one though on the top or bottom how you look at it

any suggestions or ideas ?

Jerry

tufcj
01-11-2005, 06:34 AM
:smile: You'll need to find a HP housing, just flipping a regular housing won't work. If it was that easy, everyone would be building and selling them, and HPs wouldn't be worth squat.

The HP 44 housing is cast with different oil passages, flipping a LP housing would result in burned up pinion bearings. I also don't think the RR gears would fit in a standard housing.

I talked to the techs at Currie once, and they don't produce a HP 44 rear because when it's used in the rear, you're running on the coast side of the ring/pinion, and strength is down about 10-20%. They broke a few prototypes in low horsepower tests. That's why they only do HP 60s or their own 9".

Bob
tufcj

jerry
01-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I will have to agree with you it not a eazy as thouht it is do able and might play around with it some more.

Jerry

jerry
02-26-2005, 09:13 PM
My son bought a high pinion 44 and we cut it down and made some plates for the end of it . He going to try it in the back of his jeep
we have a friend that is helping with the machine work not much money out yet we see how it work and I know he will test it. I am taken picture.

Jerry

Bulltear Ad