PDA

View Full Version : new motor oiling

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

tolobill
01-12-2005, 05:44 PM
hi, new member here, this is going to be long winded but have lots of questions. bought 80 cj7 with 304 and t4 for 1700.00 had header leaks. bought stock exhaust manifold ,edelbrock intake, edelbrock 600 all relatively cheap. engine didnt sound right put on scope, #2 exhaust valve burnt, rod knock when start up. decided to buy 360 reman long block from texas machine shop 830.00. bought aluminum water pump, dampener, chrome valve covers all from ebay.then i see i needed timing cover, bought new from distributor from crown for 200.00, got new hei distributor from tommy johnson racing 205.00. timing cover was suppose to come with new filter housing guy couldnt find, this leads to the questions, i dont want oiling problems. now i found this website what to do. shoild i buy the nickel plated housing, i see it has the oil bypass should i get the gaskets and do i need the plate between the 2. i cant put the line in the valley because i would have to tear it down, i dont think it would see over 400 rpm's. any answers and or solutions or things i dont see would be appreciated thanks.

jeepsr4ever
01-13-2005, 03:17 PM
hi, new member here, this is going to be long winded but have lots of questions. bought 80 cj7 with 304 and t4 for 1700.00 had header leaks. bought stock exhaust manifold ,edelbrock intake, edelbrock 600 all relatively cheap. engine didnt sound right put on scope, #2 exhaust valve burnt, rod knock when start up. decided to buy 360 reman long block from texas machine shop 830.00. bought aluminum water pump, dampener, chrome valve covers all from ebay.then i see i needed timing cover, bought new from distributor from crown for 200.00, got new hei distributor from tommy johnson racing 205.00. timing cover was suppose to come with new filter housing guy couldnt find, this leads to the questions, i dont want oiling problems. now i found this website what to do. shoild i buy the nickel plated housing, i see it has the oil bypass should i get the gaskets and do i need the plate between the 2. i cant put the line in the valley because i would have to tear it down, i dont think it would see over 400 rpm's. any answers and or solutions or things i dont see would be appreciated thanks.

Here is my take on it.

You my not need a new cover at all. I would invest in a new oil filter adaptor and a new gear set. We stock both of those. This way you can check the gear to cavity and make sure its a good housing. Housings do go bad over time and its imperative to an engine that the oil pump stays in spec. You may not have a bad housing and may yet get some life out of it. If you buy a oil filter adaptor which you need anyways I would go for the nickel as it will last longer and has the bypass cast in and a new set of gears whether you buy from us or another supplier. This would be the cheapest and best path I believe. :t:

Bulltear Ad