PDA

View Full Version : TFI upgrade?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
01-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Has anyone bought the Juice Box set up, I was thinking of it or just going to NAPA to get the Ford dizzy parts?

I'm gonna do Peaches 86' & I looked up the upgrade on JeepZ but I saw the juice box write up also.

I had MSD on my 79' & I liked it but I don't really need to go that route w/her Jeep.

Thanks,
RollBar

pyagid
01-17-2005, 11:00 PM
here is a right up for teh 8 cyl http://www.ifsja.org/tech/electrical/ignitionupgrade.shtml

for teh 6cyl, the HEI is a very easy swap. Get a distributor from one of these vehicles http://www.mesa4x4.com/tech_articles/258_hei/258_hei.html

swap a Distr gear from a AMC v8 Distr. and run 1 hot wire to teh cap

you are all set

Paul

pyagid
01-17-2005, 11:01 PM
here is a better write up to the HEI for the 258 swap http://www.geocities.com/jeeperaz/hei.htm

Mudrat
01-18-2005, 07:49 AM
Rollbar - the TFI is easy and you don't need to swap dizzy's, gears or anything else. Get the parts from a F150 6cyl, the TFI coil and new wires and your done - except timing. I'm running about 10* :?

There was a good write up on JeepZ (http://www.jeepz.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Howto&file=engine_tfi) that listed all the parts and the MFR P/N's that you can get, but it looks like it's been pulled for some reason. I'm looking on my drive to see if I saved it since it saved me a lot of research :lol

Paul posted an article from IFSJA (http://www.ifsja.org/tech/electrical/ignitionupgrade.shtml) that has a write up on how the TFI kicks HEI butt, and some part numbers towards the bottom.
And yet another about it by Keith HERE (http://keith.cj8.tripod.com/tfi_upgrade.htm) also has wiring diagrams.
I did the whole nine yards - Nutter bypass, TFI and dumped the Carter for a Webber (which means I got rid of the computer all together) so I had a bunch of wires hanging around that I fixed with WeatherPac connectors to make them all mud-tight :wink:

Mudrat

rollbar
01-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks Paul & Thanks Rat.

Rat, I'm getting a weber for HER :shock: 111!!! CJ, :smile: & I did the Nutter already, can't wait untill I do the dizzy.

RollBar

P.S. The ONLY reason I'm doing it is I'm useing it as my DD untill the 8 get finished w/the 360 in it :t: & I need some speed. :mrgreen:

Mudrat
01-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks Paul & Thanks Rat.

Rat, I'm getting a weber for HER :shock: 111!!! CJ, :smile: & I did the Nutter already, can't wait untill I do the dizzy.

RollBar

P.S. The ONLY reason I'm doing it is I'm useing it as my DD untill the 8 get finished w/the 360 in it :t: & I need some speed. :mrgreen:
Webber 36 or 38?? And I can't wait to build my 360!!!

Mudrat

rollbar
01-18-2005, 05:29 PM
I have to look, it's a FREEEEEBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, :t: ,,, about three months old, a friend of mine bought a 258 & it was on it & he said he didn't want it so he gave it to me yesterday. :mrgreen:

P.S. I got his motor sitting out back, :?

rollbar
01-18-2005, 06:00 PM
O.K. the bad news, as I said b-4 I didn't check to see if it was a weber, I was told it was.

Just checked, It say's built for carter carborators of st. louis. :(:

So I guess it's a carter, it has a stepper motor on it & the top vacuume port (plastic) but the fule line goes exactly in the center of the float bowl toward the bottom.

The engine is a 89' yJ so I guess it's for that yr. cause I have a carter bbd on her's now & it looks like a copy, BUTTTTTTTTT I still have the 2100 I got from Paul todo the upgrade on her 6 (no not the rear, the 258), :shock: .

Mudrat
01-18-2005, 08:24 PM
O.K. the bad news, as I said b-4 I didn't check to see if it was a weber, I was told it was.

Just checked, It say's built for carter carborators of st. louis. :(:

So I guess it's a carter, it has a stepper motor on it & the top vacuume port (plastic) but the fule line goes exactly in the center of the float bowl toward the bottom.

The engine is a 89' yJ so I guess it's for that yr. cause I have a carter bbd on her's now & it looks like a copy, BUTTTTTTTTT I still have the 2100 I got from Paul todo the upgrade on her 6 (no not the rear, the 258), :shock: .
Well that's bad news about the Carter - but you also have a spare engine!!

Mudrat

rollbar
01-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Actually 2, 360's (1 coming in a week) & a extra 258, the one I just got is sold, but I may have one more by Saturday. This Jeep stuff is getting crazy 111!!! .

Mudrat
01-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Actually 2, 360's (1 coming in a week) & a extra 258, the one I just got is sold, but I may have one more by Saturday. This Jeep stuff is getting crazy 111!!! .
I'm in the wrong state :smile:

Mudrat

pyagid
01-18-2005, 09:15 PM
it does seem that way mud. These past few weeks i have seen more 360s for free or cheap, than i could store

rollbar
01-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Update: :t:

Well the mod went great, took about 40min.

I regaped the plugs to 45 & hooked everything up & left the timing @ 10* & she fired right up. I took her for a ride & she loved it. She purrs excellent w/out any poping. I might have to go up 2* on the timing (hum) because I put it under load (shifted to 2nd & 3rd while going slow) & it pinged very slightly but I still have to take her on the hwy & open her up to see what she's got. I left the old coil & wire installed (old wire hanging for now) incase the new coil fails that way I have a spare.

Thanks again,
RollBar

Mudrat
01-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Update: :t:

Well the mod went great, took about 40min.

I left the old coil & wire installed (old wire hanging for now) incase the new coil fails that way I have a spare.

Thanks again,
RollBar
Thats great Rollbar!! And a good idea with the old coil. Just make sure it's sealed and keep the wire in your parts kit rather than hang'n. That way you know it'll work if you need it.

Mudrat

rollbar
01-28-2005, 09:05 PM
Ya, I guess your right, maybe I can take a old boot & seal up te old coil.

rollbar
06-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Everythings been going great but in the last couple of day's I noticed the engine was getting a little rough.

Tonight I replaced the plugs & gaped them @ 45* (the others were in good shape, no oil on'em etc.) & I cleaned the cap & rotor of deposits (I had the grease in the cap but it looked like it caked up & built up a scale) & it got better but not 100%, if U hold the idle just off of curb idle it's still noticable on the cylinders when it fires.

Saturday I'm gonna check the Nutter By-pass connections & the module.

I do have a compression blow by & everything is fine in the cylinder where the plug fires (it's clean).

Humm, any suggestions?

Thanks,
RollBar

grignac48
06-21-2005, 09:11 PM
I did the juice box on an 88. I then put a weber on and did the Nutter. Then I spent several weeks tunning the carb. I eventual bought a vacuum guage and went through the carb tunning procedure. Eventually I settled on 11" and adjusted everything. I got great milage for a couple of thousand miles then the Catalytic converter went. Once replaced the milage dropped but performance was much more consistent. Great mods for an every day driver. Watch your vacuum hose set ups? Can send you info if you need it. :roll:

Mudrat
06-22-2005, 05:14 AM
I did the juice box on an 88. I then put a weber on and did the Nutter. Then I spent several weeks tunning the carb. I eventual bought a vacuum guage and went through the carb tunning procedure. Eventually I settled on 11" and adjusted everything. I got great milage for a couple of thousand miles then the Catalytic converter went. Once replaced the milage dropped but performance was much more consistent. Great mods for an every day driver. Watch your vacuum hose set ups? Can send you info if you need it. :roll:
I'd like to see your final numbers and adjustments. I did pretty much the same mods to my 85, but have the Clifford intake and headers under the Weber 38. My daughters 87 just has the stock in/out and Carter with the TFI. I just had her motor rebuilt 30 over and balanced so this could be a good project vehicle to dyno with the changes (if I can find and afford the dyno!!)

Thanks
Pat

grignac48
06-22-2005, 11:48 AM
I know that they tell you to tune the carb to max vacuum at idle with the distributer vacuum disconnected. I had to go back and forth with mixture adjust and then reset the idle. At 12" I had rough running problems with the distributer hooked up. At 11" I was able to get it to really go! I had the weber 32 with the next size up in jets. I wish I had put the 38 on. I kept running out of adjustment and had hesitation when I stood on the gas. I eventually went up in jets size and that helped. I was never happy with the timing and carb set up and kept trying different timing setups. I can't find my notes on what timing I ended up with tho.

Hope this helps. I ended up selling that YJ and buying a newer one for my everyday driver. When I got the 88 it was getting 7mpg. After ripping all the emmisions stuff off and all the mods I was getting 19mpg+ on the highway. After the catylitic converter was replaced it dropped to 17mpg. :t:

Bulltear Ad