PDA

View Full Version : Broken Rocker arm bridge and leaky valley pan ARRRRRRGH!!!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

79cj7duner
01-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I've got a just broken in 304 in my 79 CJ7. I was driving up the road the other day when I heard it start ticking. Thinking this wasn't good, I backed into the garage and shut it down. I pulled the valve cover tonight and I find another broken rocker arm bridge, a bent pushrod (hi-po hardened style) and coolant inside the valve cover. Not good. I pulled the intake off and got the other pushrod out of the valley, and discovered that the valley pan was the leak culprit. I even put black goo on it to seal it, and I know it didn't work. I also found a lifter out of it's bore in the valley. When I noticed the tick, the motor wasn't building much oil pressure-I thought I blew it up. But I am now wondering if the lifter didn't cause the no oil psi problem, but what is the tick (assuming it doesn't go away when I get everything all put back together) Did I waste the lower end? It definitely is not a knock, just a tick, and it does not change when you take the plug wire off (first thing I checked).
What are your opinions on fixing this-best way to not have it happen again I guess :!: :(:

And don't say Chebby smal block, or AMC 401, this 304 has all the power I'll ever use.

Goose
01-21-2005, 03:50 AM
From the sounds of it it isnt too bad..Im not sure how the lifter got out of it's bore.. but I would recommend ditching the valley pan. Mr Gasket makes a real intake gasket set so you can fling the bathtub in the can.I bet the bridge broke and let rest of the parts flail around Put it back together and try it what can you lose..

(just my humble Cheap broke guy opinion)

79cj7duner
01-21-2005, 09:47 AM
I like that-"cheap broke guy opinion" You sound like me!
You wouldn't have a part number for the mr. G gaskets would you?

Goose
01-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Two sources that I know of make gaskets.. TD performance The P>A>W part number is tdp-9019 and the mr gasket set I cant find the number for.. I have used both and they work well.. If you call P.A.W they have the MR G sets.. and tdp 818-678-3000

Bulltear Ad