PDA

View Full Version : Scary Compressor Story

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
01-21-2005, 08:54 AM
I just picked up a used compressor, and was planning on building a shed outside my garage for it to keep the noise down. After reading this I am 100% sure it is going outside

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293499

Lifted79CJ7
01-21-2005, 06:29 PM
:shock:

rollen dean montoya
01-21-2005, 07:06 PM
damn :shock:

Phil
01-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Never heard of that happening before. but it makes sense with the temp of the intake charge+if you suck in any volitile gasses+a dose of bad luck!
Glad the guy this happened to is gonna be ok.

JeepAngel
01-21-2005, 09:23 PM
wow :shock:

jeepsr4ever
01-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Ive seen a compresssed air cylinder pop...its like a huge explosion that actually shoots flames..I think thats caused by air friction :-|

wolfe_man
02-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Hey new guy checking in.
Thought I'd post on this one. CPYDRMAN happens to be a good friend of mine (He got me started in Offroad/4x4) and he wasnt kidding on what he posted. His legs and arm were burnt to a krisp and he was miserable for the next month or so (the burns itched like hell but he couldnt scratch them). I saw him the next day as he was on his way to hospital to be treated (He wasnt going to go but his wife threatened to kill him is the burns didnt) and it was pretty nasty. I believe the compressor was not cared for by previous owners (I.E. water not drained regularly and Motor oil not changed)

Anyway Ive been kinda lurking on this forum for a few days soaking up the AMC knowledge and enjoying the hell out of it. In process of purchasing what has been named the bastard. Its a 63 scout 800 body on a 73? wagoneer frame with the wagoneer running gear with new AMC 401 and TH400 (less than 2k on both). It's the ugliest think Ive ever seen and I love it. Look forward to getting to know everybody...

Mudrat
02-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Welcome Wolfe_man, and sorry for your buds problems and glad he's going to be OK. I have a 60gal Coleman in the shop and last year there was a safety notice and class action suit brought up against Coleman / Devisiblis (and another name I can't think of) for poor quality and problems. Mine didn't qualify on the safety thing because it's oiless, but then I've rebuilt it 3 times in 2 years (that tells me I need a bigger one :? ). But that story is enought to make me reconsider my summer construction plan.

And why would you deface a Jeep with a Scout body? 111!!!

Mudrat
and ... um ... J/K on the scout thing :?

Hey new guy checking in.
Thought I'd post on this one. CPYDRMAN happens to be a good friend of mine (He got me started in Offroad/4x4) and he wasnt kidding on what he posted. His legs and arm were burnt to a krisp and he was miserable for the next month or so (the burns itched like hell but he couldnt scratch them). I saw him the next day as he was on his way to hospital to be treated (He wasnt going to go but his wife threatened to kill him is the burns didnt) and it was pretty nasty. I believe the compressor was not cared for by previous owners (I.E. water not drained regularly and Motor oil not changed)

Anyway Ive been kinda lurking on this forum for a few days soaking up the AMC knowledge and enjoying the hell out of it. In process of purchasing what has been named the bastard. Its a 63 scout 800 body on a 73? wagoneer frame with the wagoneer running gear with new AMC 401 and TH400 (less than 2k on both). It's the ugliest think Ive ever seen and I love it. Look forward to getting to know everybody...

Bulltear Ad