PDA

View Full Version : Braindead fools should not be allowed with new engines

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Penguin
01-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Well I pulled another bonehead manover with my Jeep yet again. I have a problem with the gear ratios and I cannot use 5th gear, well not being used to the higher trannys I forget to put it into 4th. Well as you can imagine 3rd gear for a t-5 is not the best to be running down the highway at 74mph in. #-o
I lost a large amount of oil and that caused the pressure to drop. I put the missing amount in and the pressure is back up and good. But what other things should I be looking at for damage. What tests should I do? Or should I just rebuild another engine I have in the garage and wait until the one I beat the crap out of dies.
I feel like such an IDIOT!!!!!!

jeepsr4ever
01-24-2005, 12:33 PM
what other symptoms are you showing?

Penguin
01-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Well I haven't had a chance to tare into it yet because it won't fit into my garage. But I have noticed drop in power. However I don't know for sure if the drop in power is from the engine or a set of bad wheel bearings.
I really need to regear it, I am having problems figuring which one it is.

Penguin
01-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Ok, now I am starting to get better than normal oil pressure(70psi). I did a google and found out max RPM's for torque is 3500 this means I could probibly push it to 4200-4500 right? Please, Please tell me that is ok with the range....
It doesn't make any bad noise seems to run just fine. I don't have a big problem with oil loss as far as I can tell right now.

Goose
01-25-2005, 02:53 PM
I just re-read your posts..One question, How long did you tool rown the highway in 3rd at 75 mph?? Im guessing a ways.

Low buck surmise, You just ran the snot out of it it got hot and broke the oil down and pushed it out of every orfice. I would change the oil and filter
check the compression, smack yourself in the forehead and put a sticky note on the dash thats says "SHIFT"

Big buck surmise, You have pissed this engine off to the poit it is going to aggravate you , check the compression and pull the pan have a look at the rods and mains and pray it didn't get hot enough to to pop a head gasket.

I'm betting on the first one though, you could probably spin a fresh engine 6500 rpm quite a long time without hurting it..(at least I do) but the damage may have been because of the loss of oil/ pressure starving the bearings (if there is any damage) check the oil for small expensive metal shavings when you drain it. other wise drive on man it's a jeep they are tough.

Penguin
01-26-2005, 06:31 AM
I went 35-50 miles, I also forgot to post this is an I-6 258.

Goose
01-27-2005, 04:24 AM
Wow! 74 mph in 3rd gear...thats umm alot of RPM for a 6...Im betting that little motor is way pissed..You must ahve a good radio in there, :!:

Mudrat
01-27-2005, 08:31 AM
I went 35-50 miles, I also forgot to post this is an I-6 258.
HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!!!! I didn't know I had that much IN the motor to begin with!!!!

Other than checking oil (and changing same), look on the back of the head and see if yo have a dribble down on top and bottom of the bell housing. seems the first places I get a leak are the rear of the head (usually cause you can't get back there and retorque the bolts) and the rear main (got that problem now on Erins YJ).

Dropping the pan and checking for shavings and a color change on rod ends might not be a bad idea either.

Jeez, guess I need to re-eval my top end! Polished 258 with webber 38, and clifford intake/exaust - stock cam though :-|

Mudrat

Penguin
01-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Well its not as bad as it could be. Because I don't have the proper gears in the axles is why I can't use the tranny right. So I am geared 3.31 with 33x12.5 tires. I figure I was pushing 4000-5000 rpms. It is a nice engine. bored 30, I also have a high volume oil pump on there, Mellings I think. The cam I got was supposed to give me better top end. I guess they were right.
Well the pan needed a one piece gasket anyway I guess I will pull it and find out if I did any major damage.
Thanks for the help I will let you know in a few days what went wrong if anything. I need to get a taller garage.

Mudrat
01-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Well its not as bad as it could be. Because I don't have the proper gears in the axles is why I can't use the tranny right.
Gotcha - just remember the funny peddle on the LEFT is there for a reason :shock:

Mudrat :?

Penguin
01-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Wow! 74 mph in 3rd gear...thats umm alot of RPM for a 6...Im betting that little motor is way pissed..You must ahve a good radio in there, :!:

You bet, change your heart beat on some songs.

Well its not as bad as it could be. Because I don't have the proper gears in the axles is why I can't use the tranny right.
Gotcha - just remember the funny peddle on the LEFT is there for a reason :shock:

Funny peddle on the left is a parking brake.... :wink:

Mudrat
01-28-2005, 02:20 PM
And your point? Had you used it (also), you wouldn't have been doing 74 in 3rd gear (too) :razz:

:idea: mudrat :mrgreen:

Penguin
01-31-2005, 08:38 AM
And your point? Had you used it (also), you wouldn't have been doing 74 in 3rd gear (too) :razz:

:idea: mudrat :mrgreen:

Good point.....

shimniok
02-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Just curious... with 3.31:1 axles, 33x12.50 tires... what tranny was in use? You can use http://www.4lo.com/ and use the calculator... Let's say it was a T-176 with 1.46:1 3rd. You'd only be running 3690 @ 75 mph... a ratio of 1.70:1 would be more like 4200 rpm...

Michael

Penguin
02-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Just curious... with 3.31:1 axles, 33x12.50 tires... what tranny was in use? You can use http://www.4lo.com/ and use the calculator... Let's say it was a T-176 with 1.46:1 3rd. You'd only be running 3690 @ 75 mph... a ratio of 1.70:1 would be more like 4200 rpm...

Michael
Oh great now I find this chart. Looks like I bought the wrong gears. I got 4.10s and the chart says I should be at 4.27.
I think I might have gotten out of this one ok. I haven't had a chance to take apart the pan and stuff yet. Need to get back up to my fathers shop. I have to get a bunch of parts ready. The snowboard lift is going under the knife the weekend of the 18th.
Gonna do a bunch of stuff to her(I hope), put the alarm system on, new gears, interior lights, fix the steering, new bearings on the wheels I didn't already replace, new seals on windsheild and top.

Bulltear Ad