PDA

View Full Version : Need help no oil

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Red Deer Jeepin
01-26-2005, 07:26 AM
I found a 79 360 that was rebuild with about 5000km on it; so they said
anyways. AFTER putting it into my yj with headers new performer manifold
and new 1406 carb it fired up and ran right away. Problem is the motor was sittting for almost 4 years and has 0 oil pressure. I dumped the old oil
and filled with 10/30 and new filter and am using meck pressure gauge, still no pressure and the fillter dint even fill. DO I need to prim the pump after sitting so long, if so how or is there another prob.

tufcj
01-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Probably just needs a re-prime after sitting, especially if it was tipped on it's side for any amount of time. You need to get a little oil into the pump. You can squirt some in with an oil can thru the filter hole. Also partially fill the filter before screwing it on (messy, but gets oil into the pump).

MC makes a priming tool (see the products area), or you can use an old screwdriver with the handle cut off and a drill. Mark and pull the distributor. You will see the slotted top of the oil pump shaft in the hole. Spin it clockwise, It should take less than 30 seconds to feel pressure come up. Continue spinning it until you have oil at the rocker arms. A good pump can strain a 1/2" drill, so be prepared when pressure comes up.

Bob
tufcj

Red Deer Jeepin
01-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Yep that works. few squrits of 50w and spun the oil pump tilloil built up.
Runs and sounds like a new motor. THANKS

Lifted79CJ7
01-27-2005, 01:01 AM
:lo1l: Glad to hear it was an easy fix!! I hope you oiled your cylinder walls so your rings wouldn't be damaged if it sat for a really long time....

Bulltear Ad