PDA

View Full Version : good info on detonation?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

roadgrime
01-26-2005, 10:18 PM
well after my recent engine failure and after seeing the rings and lands had collapsed on one side of the piston I and other here thought and mentioned detonation. now i am the first o admit that i only have a very slight understanding of detonation so i went looking for information on it and came across this URL
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/Engine/Detonation/

now again i am not thedetonation expert so if you think something is wrong and or can prove it post away... i am also interested in other information on detonation or other websites

I have sorta rules out detonation since as mentioned on page three of the article

the piston soaks up a lot of heat, because of detonation for instance, the piston expands and drives the piston structure into the cylinder wall causing it to scuff in four places directly across each boss. It's another dead give-a-way sign of detonation.

as long as i understand what the boss is (the reinforced portion of the bottom of the piston around the pin then i dont have any scuffing there... but if some one has a pic of a piston thatthey could paint an arrow on to point to the boss that would be good

Bulltear Ad