PDA

View Full Version : CJ8-Gas Tank?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
01-29-2005, 10:13 AM
O.K. I'm gonna install the gas tank in the 8 & I don't want to install the original 15gal tank & I was wondering w/the CJ8 length is there another tank I can install that is NOT made by/for Jeep. I know about the plastic 20gal etc. but was wondering if something like a Bronco or.........well U get the picture.

I would like to @ least have a 20gal+ tank.

I know about the aero tanks etc.

Thanks,
RollBar

Mudrat
02-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Don't know bro - never tried or looked into this one. Just Gooogle and see what others have tried I guesssssssss.

Mudrat

tufcj
02-02-2005, 05:52 PM
I got my tank from Trail Quest. It's a 22 gallon with a steel skid welded on. They also built it with the mounts 1" lower, so it rides 1" higher (I have a 1" body lift). They also built it for a GM in tank fuel pump to go with my EFI. It has a tapered rear, so it doesn't affect departure angles, and so far, I think I've only hit something with it once. The bottom with the skid is almost 3/8" thick (1/4" diamond plate skid + 12 gauge tank).

I really like it. www.trailquest.com

Bob
tufcj

rollbar
02-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks BOb, I'll check it out.

Dusty
02-25-2005, 11:29 AM
I got my tank from Trail Quest. It's a 22 gallon with a steel skid welded on. They also built it with the mounts 1" lower, so it rides 1" higher (I have a 1" body lift). They also built it for a GM in tank fuel pump to go with my EFI. It has a tapered rear, so it doesn't affect departure angles, and so far, I think I've only hit something with it once. The bottom with the skid is almost 3/8" thick (1/4" diamond plate skid + 12 gauge tank).

I really like it. www.trailquest.com

Bob
tufcj

Bob with your trail quest how much lift are you running? spring lift and what rear axle? my dana 60 is really close and the tank hangs down about 1/2 way across my diff cover seems kinda low to me but not a big deal. Just curious. i also noticed a little room for improvement in the tank like they could have welded mine about 1" higher intot he frame and still been able to clear the fuel lines etc. did you notice that with yours? definately nice i like the tapered rear and heavy skid plate

tufcj
02-25-2005, 12:07 PM
My CJ is SOA on 1.5" lift springs, giving me a total of about 7" of lift. The top of the diff is about even with the bottom of the tank. I do use a 2" bump stop extension to limit negative arch on the spring, and the diff cover is close on compresion, but no clearance problems. I'm going to a 60 before this fall, hopefully it will clear. I'm having it narrowed to 56", doing gears (4.88 ), a Detroit and disc brakes before it goes in.

Bob
tufcj

Dusty
02-25-2005, 12:12 PM
I narrowed mine to 56" also but used drum brakes. Interesting. Thanks for the insight. im at 4.5" SUA and i can see that an additional 2+ inches would make quite a difference.

I doubt you'll have any issues. thanks again

Lifted79CJ7
02-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Try Aero Tanks, in Corona CA. They build custom tanks, just measure it out and send in your specs! Also check out www.trailquest.com.

Bulltear Ad