PDA

View Full Version : distr.gear worn off,dry,no oiling?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

cadipacer
01-31-2005, 07:47 AM
I have a orignal 30,000 mile 304 in J 10,,(1976) installed from other donor),, running engine made noise while idling,, then starting issue.,so pulled distr,, gear all worn out,, looked inside timchn via distr hole ,was totally dry,, have since pulled intake to make sure 2 holes at valley floor can drain into chamber,, odds of front cam bearing spun? 2nd,, whats the lated TECH on the spray line run off oil port onto timechain
I'm pulling the time'cover tonight to inspect damage..
Thanks ,,, PHIL

jeepsr4ever
01-31-2005, 08:11 AM
Phil it is a popular misconception that the external oiling line will help for every occasion of a destructive dizzy gear setup. The external line is primarily used for roller cam guys who use a solid spacer replacing the fuel pump eccentric. It is probly either

a. A chunk of debris in the path of oil to the gear
b. A piece of casting flash holding the oil back

Ive seen this alot of times all you need to do is take the front cover off and the timing gears and inpsect them for signs (usually on the large timing gear in the center) of debris of flash which is easily removed)

I would start with that.

cadipacer
01-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the reply,, I will take cover off tonight,, and so inspection.

cadipacer
02-01-2005, 07:22 AM
I pulled timeg cover,, it had the orignal plastic tooth gear,, the cam gear was scarred and worn but not ruined (not useable either), I turned engine by hand to align time-marks and noticed oil peeking out the cam
gear through the little weep holes, so they are not clogged,, then blew small amount of air pressure in block and the oil began bubbling out around the front cam- jounal mainly on one side ;like at 2:00 positon.
Chain was worn had 3/8" side movement, @ 30,000 miles ? bad oiling!
I'm going to tear-drop the return holes from the valley floor..
install new chain,, put back together,, and go with it......
What else can I do?????? should I install the spray oiling ???
Thanks for the help... Phil

jeepsr4ever
02-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Was the timing cover that low of mileage as well? Did you notice any spikes in the pressure?

jeepmonster
02-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Phil it is a popular misconception that the external oiling line will help for every occasion of a destructive dizzy gear setup. The external line is primarily used for roller cam guys who use a solid spacer replacing the fuel pump eccentric. It is probly either

Ive seen this alot of times all you need to do is take the front cover off and the timing gears and inpsect them for signs (usually on the large timing gear in the center) of debris of flash which is easily removed)

I would start with that.

Why would you want to replace the fuel pump eccentric with a solid spacer when installing a roller cam??? I am nost likely going to use a crane hydraulic roller in my 343, please advise.

73hornut
02-03-2005, 07:24 AM

I would start with that.

Why would you want to replace the fuel pump eccentric with a solid spacer when installing a roller cam??? I am nost likely going to use a crane hydraulic roller in my 343, please advise.

They run electric fuel pumps, and a block off plate. Without the mechanical fuel pump, the eccentric could cause an out of balance vibration in the engine at high revs.

rollbar
02-03-2005, 04:14 PM
So we should run a mechanical fuel pump then?

My 360's mech. pump is removed & blocked off, do U have a pic of what you R talking about,?

Do I need to verify if I have one or just run the motor?

RollBar

P.S. I didn't build the motor, it has about 3 hours on it when I bought it w/my daughters Jeep I was building her.

73hornut
02-03-2005, 10:17 PM
I personaly don't think it's enough to worry about, but guys running full roller cams might. If they replaced it with a sleeve, they would not be able to run a mechanical pump, therefore my reasoning was electric pump.
I would say that yours probably has one, as it is neccesary for proper spaceing of the cam distributor gear to line with the dist gear. You could remove the dist or the block-off plate, and see whether it's in there or not.

cadipacer
02-07-2005, 07:55 AM
Yes the entire engine is all orignal.. It sat for about 8 years,, not running,, and I brought it back to run,,did all the usual stuff, prime oil pump,, lubed cyls, manual hand turn over, before starting,, new fuel pump rebuilt carb,, etc,,,,, so I'm throwing it back together this week using the spray line to gears,, I fabricate; ( old school).

Bulltear Ad