PDA

View Full Version : Oxy Acetylene

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
02-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Ok, I just got a set or torch's with tanks and cart and everything. I have never owned my own set, and any i have used before have usually been set up by someone else.

If i remember correctly the output for acetylene should be set between 7 and 10 psi, while oxygens should be between 25-30.

I found these 2 links which seem pretty helpfull
http://www.deltaconne.com/Welding%20torch%20steel%20cutting%20methods.htm
http://www.mavcc.org/PDFFiles/ITACW/OxyITA.pdf

But my other question is, the tanks have some gas in them, when i open the tanks they the guages read 150psi. What is normal pressure for a full tank? What other tips does anyone have for me?

Thanks In advance

-Paul
attempting not to burn down my house

tufcj
02-14-2005, 10:36 AM
I think pressure will vary with tank size. I have a big set of tanks, the acetylene is around 4' tall and the O2 is 5'. If I remember right, the newly filled acetylene is around 300-350 PSI and the O2 will be 1000-1500 PSI. Not positive, I only use them enough to need a refill every couple of years.

Bob
tufcj

fuzz401
02-14-2005, 11:13 AM
for the acet/oxy press go by the tip size the bigger the tip the more press you will need

brazing you will only need a couple lb of each
lighting the tourch always open the acet light it then add oxy
turning off the the tourch close the oxy then the acet

apxpred
02-15-2005, 08:02 PM
The O2 bottles, if it's about 4' tall then it's typically filled at 1k #'s, the taller one's about 5' are 2k #'s. As far as acetelene goes, most of the industry here has cheaped out & is using some type of propane gas crap poop scat, oh hell screw it, it's junk & I hate it. IMO acetelene is the way to go.

For cutting I like to run 40#'s (O2) as a rule, for welding you can get away w/ 25 #'s.

Paul

bricklin
02-16-2005, 04:20 AM
I switched from acetelene to propane years ago, It works fine if you buy the right tips and as long as you are cutting less than 1/4", for thicker stuff acetlene is the only way to go. The big difference is price. I can fill my 20# propane (BBQ) tank and it will out last 4 acetelene tanks, 1 BBq tank = $8, 4 act = $240 I usually only use a torch for heating as I have a mig and a plasma cutter.

jeepsr4ever
02-16-2005, 11:47 AM
For oxy 40-48
for acetelyne 8-10

that is what I use

Bulltear Ad