PDA

View Full Version : Funny thing I found on Mother Earth News site from the 70s

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

bigun
02-15-2005, 01:37 AM
Whats so funny or sad is that everything the author says is still pretty true today LOL

http://www.motherearthnews.com/arc/5435/

:!: :!: :!: :!:

73hornut
02-15-2005, 07:32 AM
They choose to live where there isn't any water, and then complain about it.
Besides, who really believes that anyone drinks 7-35 gallons of water a day?
They worship the earth, and the earth despises them! 111!!!

jeepsr4ever
02-15-2005, 10:36 AM
HA...I also remember that they had your horoscope on the news in the 60's and early 70's

rollen dean montoya
02-15-2005, 04:48 PM
if i drank that much water a day i wouldn't be able to drink jack daniels
:!:

Mudrat
02-15-2005, 08:16 PM
The 7 to 35 gallons is for life support, not just drinking. That includes doing the dishes, flushing toilets, cooking etc. And out there probably watering crops as well. On an aircraft carrier, we're allowed something like 10 gallons per crewman, but that doesn't include the steam used to shoot airplanes and make-up feed water for the reactors :sa:

Mudrat

Penguin
02-16-2005, 09:11 AM
The 7 to 35 gallons is for life support, not just drinking. That includes doing the dishes, flushing toilets, cooking etc. And out there probably watering crops as well. On an aircraft carrier, we're allowed something like 10 gallons per crewman, but that doesn't include the steam used to shoot airplanes and make-up feed water for the reactors :sa:

Mudrat

I was under the impression they used desalinized water for these things. Except the water for drinking.

Mudrat
02-16-2005, 11:17 AM
I was under the impression they used desalinized water for these things. Except the water for drinking.
When I first came in, we would shower and do laundry with saltwater and rinse in fresh because we could only make about 8K gallons per day in the DeSal plants . Now, we make fresh water at sea with modern technology which has put two 10K per day stills onboard most smaller ships (destroyers, cruisers, etc crews less than 200 or so do pretty good.)
Carriers can make about 200,000 gal per day so we really don't have a big problem with fresh water unless one breaks or is down for maintenance, but we also have about 4000 people onboard, plus that same water makes steam to run the 4 catapults to launch planes and "make-up and feed water" for the reactor. Think of a really, REALLY big pot where you boil water and consense the steam into fresh water and pump it into tanks. When the water is used it goes thru a filter and 'purifier' (basically adds back in some chemicals and clorinates it to kill whatever grew in the water while it was in the tank). If it goes to the reactor it goes thru a different process where it is also de-ionized (called DI water) then it too gets anti corrosion chemicals added to it that are reactor friendly. If you drink DI water you'll get sick - it's absolutely devoid of anything but H and O2. Way more pure than the "distilled water" you get at the grocery store - it's nuclear grade!!!
75% of the earth is water, but you can't drink it all, that's why Brother Jack has done so well making the nasty tasting water taste good in formula #7 :idea: =D> The Mexicans just bottle it and call it Ta-kill-ya :shock:

Mudrat :mrgreen:

rollen dean montoya
02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
yes that wonderful mexican jose cuervo is good. brother jack is better
but mr ron baccardi does have some mighty fine 151 firewater :mrgreen:
lets not forget our backwoods friends and their stills :razz: homemade
firewateris the bestest :razz: :mrgreen: :lo1l: :t: #-o

Mudrat
02-16-2005, 09:30 PM
yes that wonderful mexican jose cuervo is good. brother jack is better
but mr ron baccardi does have some mighty fine 151 firewater :mrgreen:
lets not forget our backwoods friends and their stills :razz: homemade
firewateris the bestest :razz: :mrgreen: :lo1l: :t: #-o
http://www.rum.cz/galery/cam/pr/morgan/img/pr21.jpg

Dark Spiced Rum!!!!

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mudrat

rollen dean montoya
02-17-2005, 12:33 AM
oh ya i forgot that one #-o silly me

Penguin
02-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Nothing beats the Captian.
I live on that stuff, get the privite stock, best sipping rum around. Keep a bottle next to my computer.

Mudrat
02-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Nothing beats the Captian.
I live on that stuff, get the privite stock, best sipping rum around. Keep a bottle next to my computer.
Captains Call, 1600 on the Port Side Lido deck!!! :t:

Mudrat

rollen dean montoya
02-22-2005, 04:47 PM
WHEN?

Bulltear Ad