PDA

View Full Version : New to AMC Builds Need help and Suggestions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

chadking
02-15-2005, 03:12 PM
I've spent the last 2 days reading different threads in this and other forums.. I've found a lot more answers than I thought I would but I have a few other questions..

My goal is to keep this under a $1000.00 including any machine work. I plan on doing the assembly myself.

1. Would you buy something like this kit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7953650904&category=33620
I had planned on reusing my old pistons they still seem to be ok but stumbled across this and started wondering if this would be better.

2. Anybody dealt with Mad Dog racing on Ebay? Any feedback on them would be good they seem like a good source for parts.

3. Is there any reason not to do the oil valley / rear main bypass mod? This is a mainly low RPM trail rig / trailer queen.

4. I am looking for a mild to moderate build, I don't want to leave a trail of parts behind me while I'm wheelin so with that in mind Is the cam in the above kit adequate or should I go with something similar to the Summit 8600 cam?

5. As far as the heads I planned on having them checked by a reputable machine shop. Should I go ahead and have them totaly rebuilt or just stick with the stock valves and springs if they are within spec.

6. Anybody that lives around Cincinnati, OH that knows a good AMC Engine shop please let me know I'm having problems finding one..

7. Does the BullTear Timing Cover / Oil pump Kit include the Oil filter adapter and the complete oil pump kit? I would like to get the nickel coated one but my budget may not allow for that.

Thanks in advance!!

Chad

ol' school power
02-15-2005, 08:08 PM
You didn't atate what your intentions are for this build.
Performance, bumming around?
What shape the engine is in now?
If you don't mind a little drive within your state, there's an excellent AMC shop in Buckeye lake just east of Columbus. He DOES know his AMC stuff inside/out.

chadking
02-16-2005, 06:30 AM
I guess the purpose would help..

It's going in a 78 CJ5. It's a trailer queen for the most part. The main purpose is rocks, a little mud and general trail riding.

Columbus wouldn't be bad.. What's the name of the shop?

Thanks!
Chad

fuzz401
02-16-2005, 07:02 AM
Mike's auto service
11133 Hebron road
buckeye lake, ohio 43008
(740) 929-1300
mluke11882@yahoo.com

tufcj
02-16-2005, 08:38 AM
I got a bunch of parts for my AMX from Mad-Dog. If you call them, ask for D.W. at ext. 113, he's their AMC guy. Good quality parts at good prices.

Bob
tufcj

jeepsr4ever
02-16-2005, 11:47 AM
1. Would you buy something like this kit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7953650904&category=33620
I had planned on reusing my old pistons they still seem to be ok but stumbled across this and started wondering if this would be better.

2. Anybody dealt with Mad Dog racing on Ebay? Any feedback on them would be good they seem like a good source for parts.

2. Is there any reason not to do the oil valley / rear main bypass mod? This is a mainly low RPM trail rig / trailer queen.

3. I am looking for a mild to moderate build, I don't want to leave a trail of parts behind me while I'm wheelin so with that in mind Is the cam in the above kit adequate or should I go with something similar to the Summit 8600 cam?

4. As far as the heads I planned on having them checked by a reputable machine shop. Should I go ahead and have them totaly rebuilt or just stick with the stock valves and springs if they are within spec.

5. Anybody that lives around Cincinnati, OH that knows a good AMC Engine shop please let me know I'm having problems finding one..

6. Does the BullTear Timing Cover / Oil pump Kit include the Oil filter adapter and the complete oil pump kit? I would like to get the nickel coated one but my budget may not allow for that.

1. Re-using old cast pistons is only for temporary budget builds and they are usually prone to cracking
2. Yes Maddog is a side project of a large warehouse fastengineparts.com out of florida they can set you up with parts. Same parts as other warehouses (pistons,rings,bearings)
3. You dont have to do the valley line if you dont want to you can substitute this for a .201 hole in the cam bearings (not the front bearing {one with the groove}) placed at least 30 degrees from the old cam bearing hole utilizing the flow of oil and helping send more to the bearings.
4. Head work depending on your build the least should be checking spring pressure, head for flatness, boiled, valves checked and new seal installed.
5. we have members in your area
6.We dont offer them together as a kit but can offer you a combined deal if you buy them together. Whe you are ready let me know.

Good luck

-MC

chadking
02-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!! Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll get it to the machine shop to start the work..

Thanks again!
Chad

ol' school power
02-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Mike's auto service
11133 Hebron road
buckeye lake, ohio 43008
(740) 929-1300
mluke11882@yahoo.com

And don't forget Mike's car.
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/rwh120/luke.jpg

jeepsr4ever