PDA

View Full Version : man what a trip

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

W.T.Sumner
02-16-2005, 08:35 PM
It all started with a bid on Ebay. I bought an 84 chevy 1 ton stake body dump truck with no engine.I wanted the bed and lift to install on my 87 4 door duelly. The truck was in Brick New Jersey. We left sunday morning about 5:00 am . After passing threw Baltimore Maryland we stopped at a rest area to drain some liquid. Taking a walk around the trailor we noticed the back axle had broke a weld. after chaining it up I called an uncle in Bear Delaware to see if he could get hold of a welder , not easy being sunday. He found one but the guy was not free till 3:30 . I had hoped to be in brick by then. after finally getting it fixed we headed out again. it was 8:00PM when we finally arived at the mans house. He had mentioned some wood in the truck that had to go with the it. Turns out it was stacked 3and a half feet high. on the 12 foot bed. We used the winch off my jeep mounted to the trailor to load the truck. The load on the truck had the springs compressed down low and the hydrualic tank hung the trailor going up the ramp. After placing boards on the ramp to raise the frame and clear the pump we decided that it was too much weight on the rear axle of the trailor . The truck axle was a little behind the last axle of the trailor. The only way to safely transport it was to unload the wood off the truck. The owner refused to let us leave it in his yard. By this time it was 11:00 pm .I decided to get a motel room and decide what to do in the morning. the cheepest room we could find was 66 bucks . 2 single beds and a shower stall. Then the heater in the room was not working. After calling the office 2 drunks came to fix the heater.That was a waisted call. after getting it working myself we finally got to sleep. The next morning we were back at the truck at 7:00am.I told the man that I would leave the truck and go home if we could not unload it. He finally agreed to pay the dump fees if we would haul it to the dump. He thought there was only about 1500 pounds on the truck. we tryed to tell him it was a lot more. after unloading the truck and emtying the wood on our trailor we headed to the dump. being we were out of state he had to use his I.D. toget into the dump.after unloading the trailor,in the rain, we wieghed out. 4000 pounds! the guy like to had a fit. Dump fees were 95$ a ton. I only paid 350$ for the truck. We returned to his house, loaded the truck on the trailor again and headed back to North Carolina.50 miles down the road the altinator belt broke. we made it back to my uncles house and bought a new belt . Damn if it wasn't the wrong belt. ( to be continued)

jeepsr4ever
02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
HA... I did the ebay thing I bought a fast dodge car in maryland and flew down there and picked it up...got to 137mph 5 minutes after I bought it....blew the tranny in cleveland OH. Duct taped it and drove it back to MN.....ebay cars? never again for me.. :wink:

Penguin
02-17-2005, 08:23 AM
I have bought three Jeeps off ebay. Liked every one and got a good deal on every one.
I guess I am just lucky. 111!!! Like I am lucky......

pyagid
02-17-2005, 08:54 AM
I have sold a couple of vehicles on EBAY, but am very leery of buying anything i cant inspect and drive first

But wow, sounds like a long couple of days

-Paul

jerry
02-17-2005, 09:19 AM
It not a trip it an adventurer.

Jerry

W.T.Sumner
02-18-2005, 04:16 AM
Well to continue with the story,the next morning I went back to the auto parts store to get a shorter belt. What happened to the real auto parts guys?You know,the ones that knew half the part # by heart, could put there hands on them without looking them up. I have a great uncle, names Billy Kirby, that is the longest running NAPA dealer in the US. sold parts for like 63 years. Man I miss him at the counter. Anyway , I tried to tell the counterman, I think he was flipping burgers at McDonalds last week , that I needed a belt 3" shorter than the one I had gotten. He still felt the need to look it up.The air pump was removed from the truck so looking it up would not do any good. He still went threw 3 different books and would not listen when i told him to just subtract 3 numbers from the belt number to get a belt 3" shorter. After talking with another counterman, then the manager ,he finally figured out how to read the part number, subtracted 3 and got the belt I needed. Time he figured out how to do a return on the first belt it took almost an hour to get get my belt and out of there. Getting back to my uncles I instaled the belt , said my goodbys and hauled butt back to NC. What should have been an overnight trip turned into 3 days. I missed Valentines day with my wife so she was pissed when I got home. But hey, I found a 20' flatbed with lift cylinders . Make a great trailor, maby another road trip to maryland this time. :lo1l:

jeepsr4ever
02-18-2005, 12:02 PM
He still went threw 3 different books and would not listen when i told him to just subtract 3 numbers from the belt number to get a belt 3" shorter.

Been there

Soylent green where are you :mrgreen:

Bulltear Ad