PDA

View Full Version : RESTORE

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

GEEP
02-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Has anybody used a product called Restore? I have a little blowby coming into my air filter and was told to add Restore and that woulld help my rings get a better seal. Is this true? Let me here your stories on this stuff.

pyagid
02-22-2005, 02:48 PM
I have dumped it into motors in the past, but could not tell if it actually did anything.

My VW gets blow by, and i have dumped a product called Engine Honey in and it stopped about 90% of it. But again i dont know how good it is for the motor, it is basically a very thick oil

-Paul

JMSII
02-22-2005, 08:48 PM
I am usually VERY skeptical about oil additives, but in this particular instance I have to say that it worked for me!

I have an old J-20 with a very worn 401 in it. It was running pretty rough, starting to smoke a little and using a bit of oil. I did a compression test and found that two of the cylinders were running about 25 -35 lbs less than the others. I really didn't want to tear into it right aways as I had other projects going at the time, and this was my "junk truck" A friend had told me about this stuff so I agreed to try it on a bet. We bet a night's bar tab on the outcome!

I changed the oil and added a can of Restore. I then drove it about 250 miles and then checked the compression. The first weak cylinder's compression had come up 22lbs and the second 26lbs! Needless to say I was stunned.

The truck had more power and seemed to smoke less. I continued to drive it for another week or so (about the time I had needed previously to add another can of oil) and found that the oil was not down a quart like normal (about 500 miles) - it was just below the "full" mark.

Since then (being the cheap guy I am) I have added a can of Restore at every oil change. It has lasted another year, although this June the motor is coming out for a rebuild.

In my opinion, it worked for me. I think I just have some very worn rings. It's not a miracle cure, but it worked out to be a great stop-gap measure.

Needless to say, I wish I hadn't bet him - the damn bar tab that night was over $75, and that would have bought a lot of cans of Restore!

Just my two-cent's worth.

rollen dean montoya
02-22-2005, 09:23 PM
sounds like one of my bartabs :razz: might try that in the eagle. 220,000
miles and i know i got some blowby and also leaks out of the gaskets.

JMSII
02-22-2005, 09:32 PM
I know it won't help with the gaskets, but in my particular case, it sure bought me a lot of time. Remember, you need to drive it at least a 100 miles or so before you see any real results. Be sure to buy the large can. (They make it in 3 sizes)

It's not a "cure all" but it served it's purpose with me!

ol' school power
02-25-2005, 09:38 PM
My son's 360 could probably be a test mule for "mechanic in a can". We cooked the rings a little with a recipe of too much "spray" and not enough fuel during 1 pass.
He's got 3 cylinders that'll soak a plug in oil within a few days.
restore?
blew right out the tailpipes
STP?
Took a few cans to slow the fouling and extend it to a little over a week.
Bardahl 'No Smoke"?
tossed in 1 bottle and there isn't even a puff of blue out the pipes with 8 clean plugs.
Ran it that way in the AMC National's this last summer.
About 275 miles round trip + 2 days of 1/4 mile thrashing without adding oil.

jeepsr4ever
02-26-2005, 08:39 AM
What your looking at are viscosity index improvers. The same can be had by running a 10w60 motor oil

yumyum1667
03-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Restore worked for me in a high mileage Pathfinder I had a few years ago. I think it is a good product. It did not stop the engine wear but it did delay the inevitable which was an engine rebuild.

JesterTac
03-07-2005, 02:41 AM
It did not stop the engine wear but it did delay the inevitable which was an engine rebuild.

Agreed with this. These products always seem to work well until later when you find out they are just a bandaid.

I would be concerned that the product would cause rubber gaskets to swell. That is usually what these products do so that used car dealers can offload a problem car before you know what is wrong with it. Unfortunatley this also promotes cracking in the rubber. Also, I think that its copper (I don't remember) that sticks to the rings to help restore some of the compression.

BTWay. just how is this product getting past the oil scraper ring to the compression rings??? Must be burning oil--time for a rebuild, or bandaid the engine and offload it.

IMHO, I think that the multitude of dollars spent on oil additive research at the refinery/factory are enough. The additive packages are produced to maxamize the benefit to your components--not for a quick sell. If you want better quality then get synthetics. Synthetics start out with a better base blend of additives than the dino based oils.

Bulltear Ad