PDA

View Full Version : CJ D-44 rear axle?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
02-23-2005, 09:56 PM
What make/year disc brakes will fit on a Dana CJ 44 axle & keep the same bolt pattern?

Thanks,
RollBar

tufcj
02-23-2005, 10:43 PM
What year 44? The 75 and older ones have 6 bolts holding the backing plate, the 86 only model has 4 bolt ends just like the AMC20. I've heard of guys modifying 77-78 Dana 30 front rotors and brackets to work on the early rears, but I've never seen it.

I bought my rear kit from TSM ( http://www.tsmmfg.com ). I bought just the caliper brackets and rotors from them for $265, got calipers, pads, lines, and hardware at the local auto parts store. I love the way my Jeep stops with the rear discs, even with 37" tires. Neat thing is that TSM is less than an hours drive from my house, so I was able to go there, meet the owner and designer, and see their shop, and save shipping costs.

Bob
tufcj

jeepsr4ever
02-24-2005, 05:55 AM
The other option is a dana 44 rear form a postal jeep they came in a 51.5" wide pattern and offset for AMC drivetrain like the offset found in 76-83 CJ-5's and 76-86 CJ-7's. It is between a widetrack and a narrow track and is setup for spring over but will need the purches to be moved to 36"s on center. The feature a trck lock stock and either 3:07 or 3:73 gears and a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

rollbar
02-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks all,

Bob, it's a 86' D-44 (I got the D-30 & 44 for 150 bucks w/very low miliage & I got a set of FREE 3.73 gears Saturday :lo1l: ) & I want to add the disc brakes for my SOA 8.

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. Bob, is that w/a Vacuum booster or w/out one. I have manual brakes now & want to keep it that way for off camber situations etc.

W/out a booster would it work or be worse?

tufcj
02-24-2005, 09:32 PM
My Jeep had factory power disc brakes. I've never had any problem. When I added the rear disc, I didn't even add a pressure valve. The only time the rear locks first is when it's icy, but usually I'll have it in 4WD, and that can't happen with a Dana 300 and a Detroit in both ends anyway. If loss of power concerns you, you could add a vacuum reservoir, it will give you a couple of power assist stops, even if the engine stalls.

I "T"d the rear brake line up on the frame, and ran hard line to a bracket on each frame rail. I then dropped a braided line to each caliper, just like the front. It keeps the rear lines out of harms way, and the rear axle is cleaner without the lines running across it.

Bob
tufcj

rollbar
02-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Nice touch on the line application.

So do U think I can run the rear disc's w/out a power boster?

I'm check'in out the web site now.

Thanks,
Jim

tufcj
02-25-2005, 09:20 AM
You probably can get away without a booster, but I like the positive feel of power assist brakes. TSM does make a kit for the 86 Dana 44. Most of their kits use Cadillac rear calipers. I found it was cheaper to go to the boneyard and pick up a core set, then go to a local parts store for rebuilds. You'll also need to add a rubber or braided hose at each caliper since the calipers "float". I never had good luck with the disc e-brakes, so I added a Jamar hydraulic lock to the front brake system of my Jeep too. They're used mostly on bugs and sand rails. Picked mine up at a VW shop for about $35. It's kind of neat. Step on the brake and hold the button in, and it locks. Step on the pedal again, and it unlocks.

Definitely worth the work.

Bob
tufcj

rollbar
02-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips & help Bob.

Bulltear Ad