PDA

View Full Version : Removing broken end link from front sway bar on 2002 wrangle

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepmonster
02-27-2005, 03:38 PM
I guess this is a common problem, the end link wore out at the sway bar end and is completely disconnected from the sway bar. The threaded end with the ball socket that goes through the end of the sway bar is stuck in the end of the sway bar??? I have already removed the end link assemble from the bracket attached to the frame. Is the sway bar hole threaded??? Or do I need to a pickle fork to wack out the end link?? Thanks.

Mudrat
02-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Not familiar with them new Jeeps :roll: , but it's an eye with a bushing and a bolt kinda set up on the older ones.

jeepmonster
02-27-2005, 11:22 PM
The end links are big, one end has an eye bushing and a big bolt with a torx fitting that bolts to a bracket on the frame, the other end goes to the sway bar obviously and it has a small ball joint that goes through the sway bar end hole, the threaded end sticks through the sway bar and it has a nut on the end, "the ball joint" section of the end link wore out and popped out of the end link, the threaded end is stuck in the end of the sway (bar in the mounting hole). I removed the big section of the end link and the nut from the threaded end that goes through the sway bar. My question is do I need a puller or tie rod separator type "fork" to dislodge the end link section from the sway bar??

Mudrat
02-28-2005, 06:56 AM
The end links are big, one end has an eye bushing and a big bolt with a torx fitting that bolts to a bracket on the frame, the other end goes to the sway bar obviously and it has a small ball joint that goes through the sway bar end hole, the threaded end sticks through the sway bar and it has a nut on the end, "the ball joint" section of the end link wore out and popped out of the end link, the threaded end is stuck in the end of the sway (bar in the mounting hole). I removed the big section of the end link and the nut from the threaded end that goes through the sway bar. My question is do I need a puller or tie rod separator type "fork" to dislodge the end link section from the sway bar??
From what it sounds like (like a tire rod end?) either should do the trick. Try sticking a pickle fork in there and tapping at it. If it's a ball joint set up like it sounds, it should be a tapered shaft that is snugged up by the nut on the outside thread.
Do you have a Chiltons or Haynes that shows the assembly? Like I said, I don't know the new Jeeps - but I do have a Jeep dealer within walking distance of the office - I could go look...

Mudrat

jeepmonster
02-28-2005, 07:21 PM
From what it sounds like (like a tire rod end?) either should do the trick. Try sticking a pickle fork in there and tapping at it. If it's a ball joint set up like it sounds, it should be a tapered shaft that is snugged up by the nut on the outside thread.
Do you have a Chiltons or Haynes that shows the assembly? Like I said, I don't know the new Jeeps - but I do have a Jeep dealer within walking distance of the office - I could go look...

Mudrat

Yes it is very similar to a tie rod assembley where the end link goes into the sway bar. I had a pickel fork but it wasnt thick enough to take up the space between the ball on the end of the stuck section of sway bar and the sway bar itself. The new end link does seem like it is tapered, and would get snugged up when torqeuing it. The only other way it could be in there so tight is if it is threaded into the end of the sway bar but I have never seen a sway bar end link hole that was threaded, I just didnt want to torque down a pitman arm puller that I have in vain if it IS threaded and it didnt fit too good to boot. You can try the dealer tommorow I will call one during break at work and we will compare whatever they say.

Mudrat
02-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Superlift has a pic of a disconnect ...
Does yours look something like this? (except the disco)

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/images/31_3.jpg

jeepmonster
03-01-2005, 08:41 PM
I found a site that shows a licoln mark 8 that has the same set up and the end links are indeed removed with a puller or pickle fork, the one I was trying too use was not thick enough so I guess I need to buy a bigger fork to do it, the ends are tapered and are pulled up snug against the bar when the nut is torqed down. It is a solid set up but the joint wears out relatively quickly. I'll replace both sides and might upgrade the sway bar bushings to eurothane.

Bulltear Ad