PDA

View Full Version : need info on tcase guts quick

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

79cj7duner
02-27-2005, 09:25 PM
I need to know if the guts from Jeep dana 300 will work properly in a scout dana 300 case. I am trying to adapt to a Jeep T-18 B and I don't want to spend $500+ on adapters to do so. What about the bull gear? will one from a d20 work for the 300? I am new to these type transfer cases, and used to the stock Jeep d 300 style input. Maybe Since I have to bull gear, I can get MC to make me an adapter ring from the T-18 to work with the bolt pattern of a Jeep 300. I apreciate all insight. My buddy has a bare scout 300 case, and I have a Jeep 300 case, which is complete. Thanks.

jeepsr4ever
02-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Geez I really need to scratch my head on this one.... I know the dana 20 has 2 different bullgears and I believe the uncommon one was for the th400-dana 20 case or 71 and earlier.

tufcj
02-28-2005, 10:11 AM
The guts are the same - EXCEPT - to use a Scout 300 case you need the T-18/19 specific bull gear for the Scout 300. That particular gear is made from unobtainium. Basically any Scout 300 is useless without it. A model 20 bull gear is smaller and has a different tooth count and pitch. The only crossover I've heard is an automatic trans Scout 300 bull gear (fine spline) can be re-cut to the 6 spline T-18.

The Jeep 300 uses a splined input shaft and retainer for the bull gear instead of mounting it to the back of the trans. The adapter kits cost because you have to replace the output shaft of the T-18.

I run a Scout 300 in my CJ. I installed it before Tera-low came out with the 3.15 low for the model 20. If I had to do it all again, for what I paid for the 300, I could do the lower gears in the 20. I think you can also get a 4:1 gear set for the Scout 300 case that comes with the correct bull gear.

http://www.teraflx.com

Bob
tufcj

79cj7duner
02-28-2005, 11:17 AM
teraflex didn't say that their kit came with a bull gear, and I don't think I was one in the pic. anythingscout.com has bull gears, but I think they are the fine spline for the autos. But if I could be recut that wouldn't matter much to me. MC could do it, or he would know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who could.

tufcj
02-28-2005, 03:10 PM
You'd have to call them. The tera-flex site says there are 5 gears in the kit. There are only 5 gears in the t-case INCLUDING the bull gear. There is the front output gear, intermediate gear, 2 sliders, and the input (or bull) gear. I think they used the same pic for the Jeep and Scout sets. The one on the lower left shoud be the bull gear, and splined for Scout application.

I bought my Scout 300 from Anything Scout about 7-8 years ago. I paid a little over $750 with shipping. Had a local guy with one quote me $1100. I've heard of a couple of instances of cracked cases on Scout 300s with the 4:1 kits, which is why I haven't done mine. I saw the bull gear listed on their web site. Definitely fine spline. I've heard they can be cut to coarse spline. I can post a pic of the model 20 next to a 300 bull gear, since I have mine out right now (t-case refresh, it has about 150K miles on it now and leaks out the front output bearing cover).

Be sure the case is a Scout 300. The cover plate is nearly flat. The model 20 used in Scouts had the # 300 in the casting, which leads some people to think it's a 300 case, when it's not. The model 20 cover is raised about 1" all the way around.

Bob
tufcj

79cj7duner
02-28-2005, 08:34 PM
You'd have to call them. The tera-flex site says there are 5 gears in the kit. There are only 5 gears in the t-case INCLUDING the bull gear. There is the front output gear, intermediate gear, 2 sliders, and the input (or bull) gear. I think they used the same pic for the Jeep and Scout sets. The one on the lower left shoud be the bull gear, and splined for Scout application.
what are you gettin at here? do you think they'd sell the bull gear separate? I will try to call tomorrow and ask. I bought the case off my buddy, and it is definetly a 300. It has a spun countershaft, so it'll need some machine work to be right, but for what little I paid for this rare case, I'm going to put the guts from my Jeep 300 in it and be happy. I should have no more than $300 in this deal with the rebuild kit included. you might want to watch the product ideas section, I'm gonna try to get MC to build a cheap adapter.

tufcj
03-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Nope. :smile: The Tera-Flex bull gear probably won't work with standard gears. They change the low range by changing the tooth count on the inout, output, and intermediate gears. I'd imagine if you count the teeth on the Anything Scout page and the Tera-Flex page, you'll see that they are different. If they are the same (ask about tooth pitch too), you've got a cheaper solution.

Bob
tufcj

Lifted79CJ7
03-01-2005, 04:01 PM
OK, random question......is the bull gear the gear that the output shaft from the tranny feeds into in the t-case?

tufcj
03-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Yep, the bull gear is the one that attaches to the output shaft of the trany.

Bulltear Ad