PDA

View Full Version : T-18 to D300 adapter

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

79cj7duner
02-28-2005, 07:34 AM
How about making a plate adapter to use the D 300 behind a t-18 that already has the bull gear for the D20. I guess it would also work for teh T-150 etc, since they came with a D20 factory. Or maybe the tranny pattern is different. I dunno. I think that someone could make a ring type adapter to run the Jeep d300 in place of D20. What do you think guys?

jeepsr4ever
02-28-2005, 09:01 AM
hmmmmm I will have to look into this :-|

pyagid
02-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Jeep dana 20 and Dana 300 are different. They it is not just a bolt pattern change that needs to be done. You need to change teh output shaft on the tranny too.

-Paul

jeepsr4ever
02-28-2005, 09:05 AM
I think we would pull the bullgear and make a input spud

79cj7duner
02-28-2005, 10:18 AM
I like the way MC is talking. Cut the input back to make a spud shaft for the stock D300 input. Then it is just a matter of making the adapter ring. There just has to be a cheaper way than the $500+ adapters advance sells. I was thinking if you could take the input out of the 300 and get it bolted to the T-18, you could somehow get the 20's bull gear to engage where the stock inut gear meshed originally. If I didn't have my 300 torn down, I could look at it closer myself. I'm gonna split the T-18 and D20 today, just gotta do my homework first :(: I hate college :razz: I like college :mrgreen: LOL

79cj7duner
02-28-2005, 04:29 PM
MC, I got it fingered out! The input shaft for a Jeep dana 300 needs to be resplined for the six spline t-18 output. Then machine an adapter from t-case to tranny. This would have to be the easiest way, because you pull the input Shaft/bearing assy. from the Tcase, and two snap rings and you have the shaft out, a mild press fit on the bearing, and you have a bare shaft in your hand. include a new shaft and plate adapter in a kit for $200-$250 and you'd have a winner. I'd buy ten if I had ten T-18's. I'll see if I can get some measurements in the next couple days (my buddy is borrowing my only mic-can you tell I use it alot). I also think you could respline the input gear for Jeep D300 and have the scout bull gear. The size of these two gears (D20, D300) looked close to the same, it was the tooth direction that was wrong. this is way easier than trying to change a mainshaft in a transmission.

Dusty
03-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Potentially a shorter setup than what AA is offering to because of the resplining and using of the T-18 output VS a spud shaft etc and lengthenign of the combo. I know my friend Jim has hunted for a scout D300 and gear for years without any luck he has several Jeep D300's but in a CJ5 a T-18 with AA and D300 is too long this might be a logical alternative

79cj7duner
03-01-2005, 02:14 PM
yeah, to me, it seems more logical to try and respline the transfer case inout becuse Novak builds these shafts new, meaning there is a ready supply. The bolt adapter can be machined out of a block of aluminum, so that's not too much trouble. You could either cut off the t-18 mainshaft at the threads for the bull gear nut, or it would probably make more sense not to do that in case for whatever reason, you would want to put a D20, or scout 300 back in. I have a scout 300 case, everything but the bull gear, and now I need the bull gear. I think you can respline the D300 input gear to work as a T-18 bull gear, just a matter of doing it. Who does resplining?

tufcj
03-01-2005, 02:37 PM
There was a company here in Colo called Rock-Hard products. They had a prototype adapter that was only slightly thicker (about 3/8") than the steel T-18 to model 20 adapter. It used a Jeep Dana 300 t-case, but needed a Scout bull gear, which they put a 3/8" spacer behind, on the stock T-18 output shaft. They were looking for someone to reproduce the Scout bull gears. I tried hard to talk them into letting me test one of their prototypes, since I had the Scout bull gear. Don't know if the company still exists or not. My old link to their web site doesn't work. I think I still have a printed picture of the adapter somewhere.

Bob
tufcj

79cj7duner
03-01-2005, 09:22 PM
The bolt adapter isn't what's got me stumped, it's the shaft adapter that I'm scratchin my a$$ over. I thought that someone made an adapter for the PTO of a tractor to from 6 spline to 29 spline, but it's only 21 spline :(: It's even 1 3/8 dia. :(: :(: I can't get lucky any more. hey, I got to witin 8 splines of being right, so in the land of america, I'd call that a good shot, then sit down and sip a frosy adult beverage. It'd be great if someone would repro the scout bull gears. From the looks of everything to me, if you had the right length adapter, you could bolt the jeep 300 to the t-18 using the scout gear, and everything would work.

HEY MC Make us some bull gears!!!

I finally found a guy with one, gonna buy it before he changes his mind.

Lifted79CJ7
03-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Got this from Damon on the Jeep-L.......

Subj: [Jeep-L] IM ALIVE.....YESSSS!!!!! {08}
Date: 3/1/2005 2:45:48 PM Pacific Standard Time
Reply-to: jeep-l@jeep-l.com
To: jeep-l@jeep-l.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Okay now it's widely known that some of us visit the L to get away from
work for a moment or two :) I've got all of the prints for the 300 flip kit.
Even got a new 3axis CNC mill delivered yesterday. 21tool magazine, 15HP, 10,000RPM...

Maybe I'll have to try making a couple??

-d

Dusty
03-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah, scout bull gear and adapter. Whoo hoo put me on the list. ive got several T-18a' s that i would love to put a Dana 300 and 4:1 kit into and have them be a short setup. or have the flexability ot swap out the D20 and go to a HD case and Atlas would be great since its a pain and a driveline length issue for alot of guys

79cj7duner
03-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Jeeps-what're you thinking on this Idea?

jeepsr4ever
03-06-2005, 03:12 PM
I just dont know If I can beat AA on this one...i thought they offered a adaptor for this :-|

79cj7duner
03-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Yeah, AA and Novak both make adapters, but the problem is 1: They cost $550, 2: you have to change the transmision mainshaft. I think it would be a ton easier to change the T-case input shaft, and machine an adapter from a block of aluminum (or steel, whatever blows your dress up). I can help with some measurements here for awhile, but my scout case is supposed to show up monday, So I will be wanting to get this thing back together.

Bulltear Ad