PDA

View Full Version : Dual T-cases

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
03-04-2005, 01:40 PM
I am picking up an MJ this weekend, and since it has a 119" wheel base i was thinking it would be a good candidate for a Dual Transfer case set up. Currently it has the Peugeot tranny in there, but once that blows up I have an ax-15 waiting to go in.

Are there any t-cases, i could bolt up to the ax-15 and do dual t-cases? or some sort of cheap doubler.

My goal is to use junkyard parts, but i dont even really know where to start looking, I have never thought about dual cases in my CJ. So any help would be appreciated

Thanks
-Paul

tufcj
03-04-2005, 02:52 PM
:smile: I've never heard of any for the 231 series t-cases. Just the Tera-Low 4:1 kit. The only ones I know of are made using a NP203 low range mated to a NP205, or the Marlin Crawler for Toyotas.

Bob
tufcj

79cj7duner
03-04-2005, 04:57 PM
you could use the T-case that's in it, and then one of those old divorced units that I think GM used for awhile. I'm not real familiar with them, but that's probably the cheapest way to go for Dual T-cases.

Lifted79CJ7
03-05-2005, 10:34 AM
I was thinking the same as 79cj7duner. Look in ooooold ford/dodge/jeep/chevy trucks. They have divored t-cases. Just make a short shaft in between the 231 and the new tranny.

tufcj
03-05-2005, 02:48 PM
:shock: Good idea, I think early Fords with the divorced t-case used a model 20. My only question is with 2 complete t-cases, do you have room, and how do you route the front driveshaft? The doublers like the Marlin and 203 use just the low range section of the donor t-case. The front drive section splits from the low range section, and the extra low is mounted ahead of the stock t-case. The Klune-V nearly turns the front t-case upside down for clearance.

The last problem is I think all the divorced t-cases have a passengers side front drop, the MJ is drivers side like the XJ.

Bob
tufcj

Lifted79CJ7
03-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Not sure about drop sides. Things to consider:

a) make sure you have enough lift to go from the second tcase to the front axle

b) if they are both the same side drop, you will need a lot of lift to clear getting past the first t-case unless you clock it down

c) ditch that dana 30 and swap in something like scout 44 axles (cause they are cheap), plus they are passenger side drop axles

d) drinking beer will make people want to hear you rant and listen yo your singing.

e) MJ's have a unibody front/rear frame - how do you want to bolt up a skid to hold the second tcase to this?

f) DO IT!!! And take lots of pics!!!

:sa:
Jack

eight
03-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Use a dodge 203 and double it to a d300. The dodge 203 has the same input shaft size/spline as a 231 or d300. Some dodge 203s have the same bolt pattern as a 231 or d300, for others you will have to redrill the bolt pattern.

Or, use a toyota transmission and transfercase doubled to a d300. The toyota transmission can be bolted to a jeep engine useing stock parts.

pyagid
03-21-2005, 07:31 AM
:-| :-| :-| :-|

Lots of very interesting options. I need to get this thing on the road first, then i am going to be looking at my options. I think i definatly have the wheelbase for a divorced t-case. The Long Bed MJ has a wheelbase of 119"

I also like the idea of teh Dodge 203. That would allow me to put the Ax-15 i already have in.

The other option i have been toying with is putting the t-18 i have with np208 tcase that was bolted to it. I know you could use 2 NP-205s as a double t-case Does anyone know if the 205 will bolt in place of the 208? Then i will have the granny low T-18 and options of the 2 205 t-cases for a nice low crawl ratio

-Paul

eight
03-23-2005, 10:57 AM
If you're useing ford stuff, yes the 208 will swap for a 205. Bolts up.

hssss
07-03-2005, 12:55 AM
Reply a bit late but here goes. I would probably look at a NP435 or T18 or T19 (ford) with a maried 203 gear box adapted to a 205 twin sticked.
http://jedsmachining.com/
http://www.akfabshop.com/alaskaoffroad/tech_2.htm
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm

Bulltear Ad