PDA

View Full Version : How do I prime my oil pump?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

RonSon
03-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Hi everyone! I joined this site last night and came to work today just to keep reading(I don't have a computer at home!). I have found a lot of good tips and still have a ton of reading to do. What I am basically trying to find out is the proper way to prime my oil pump. I am getting ready to bolt the front of the motor back together tomorrow and have read to fill it with petroleum jelly,not to fill it with petroleum jelly,etc. I was also told that spinning the oil pump through the distributor hole doesn't work without priming first. Help!

tufcj
03-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Coat the oil pump gears with oil when you install them. Squirt some oil thru the holes behind the oil filter with an oil can before you install the filter. That should give you enough to pull oil up from the pan. If its a brand new motor, spin the pump (clockwise) thru the distributor hole until you have oil at the rocker arms. It doesn't have to spin fast. It will spin hard once pressure is up, it will make a 1/2" drill work hard.

When I learned engine building some 20+ years ago, I was taught to fill the oil pump with vaseline. I've never had a problem with it. The guys here say it's a NO-NO with AMC engines. Again, I've built over 10 AMCs that way without a problem. All but the last one were just mild rebuilds. The most recent is a 425-450 HP 390. I brought up oil pressure to it as described above.

Bob
tufcj

eight
03-06-2005, 09:31 PM
I use a 1/4" rod and grind it flat like a screwdriver on one end, then chuck it in a drill, and stick it in the distributer hole. Spin till oil comes out the top of the pushrods, and a little more just cause its so fun.

jeepsr4ever
03-06-2005, 09:44 PM
You can also use a old distributor or a priming tool that we make..

Lifted79CJ7
03-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Two thumbs up on the oil pump priming tool. I know I like mine...

Bulltear Ad