PDA

View Full Version : Will A Scout Dana fit a Jeep?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jimmyjeep
03-10-2005, 08:05 PM
I really need to get this one answered quick, as its either move it or lose it on this setup :razz: I have the chance to pick up front and back Dana 44's from a 1980 scout. This will have the passenger side drop I need for the Dana 300 I am wanting to install. This will save me from flipping it. They have to go in a 1983 waggy chassis. The wms to wms on the Scout is 58". The waggy is 58.5". ANY reason, these will not work?????? Please help me on this one and the project gets kicked into high gear!

pyagid
03-10-2005, 08:23 PM
i believe the waggy 44s are a little stronger due to the outer shafts, and hubs than the scout. Also you coudl probably make up most of the difference with more of an offset in the rims.

I know when putting scout axles in CJs and YJs even going SOA on a scout you need to rotate the knuckles to fix the caster. Stock on most scouts is 0 degrees jeeps usually like 6 degrees or so. I beleive 1980 is the ONLY year scout used 2 degrees of caster.

-Paul

jimmyjeep
03-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Paul, your a saint! :sa: you guys never fail to amaze me on the amount of knowledge you posess here at Bulltear! Thanks so much. It has been quite the learning experience, trying to bolster this drivetrain. I hope to post a short but sweet how to and how not to, article on swapping in a Dana 300 and what you really need for the "dreaded: flip kit installation.

Lifted79CJ7
03-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Paul is right. Scout axles had 0 degrees of caster, except a few 1980 versions. Either way, its not had to correct. Let me know and I can walk you through it. I believe the scout axle also had thinner tubes, if I am not mistaken.

Scout 44's have 27 spline, dana 30 outer stuff (exact same as big brake CJ's from the late 70's). The only difference is that it has a 8 bolt spindle, compared to the CJ 6 bolt.

Also, the Waggy axle has a different bolt pattern than the Scout axle - if that makes any difference to you.

Let us know any other info you might want!

Jack
(Scout 44's under his CJ7)

jimmyjeep
03-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey Lifted, how are ya. I take it you have 44's in your ride. I guess thats the way I am going. Meybe the 14 bolt, and dana 60's later if they are needed. Let me ask you, any problems with the Scout Dana 44's handling a little extra hp? Ill take your opinion and run with it. Jimmy

Lifted79CJ7
03-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Do what I am gonna do - get the scout axles cause they are cheap. Flog them until you can afford one tones, then when you are ready, you can always swap them out and sell the 44's.

Bulltear Ad