PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank volume

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
03-14-2005, 07:28 PM
I want to take my 15gal gas tank & make my own (bigger) tank but I don't know how big to go.

I want a 25-30 gal tank for the CJ8 & I don't feel like paying 4-500 bucks for a aftermarket one..

I was thinking of cuting the tank in half & adding like a 8-10" piece to it to get more volume but I don't know the calculations or what that addition the 10"'s would ad to the tank.

Any help would be excellent.

Thanks,
RollBar

jeepsr4ever
03-14-2005, 07:34 PM
You sure can do that...you will need to make sure all the fumes are out of the tank before cutting please......PLEASE MAN! You can get a universal gas tank float and retrofit it...

Mudrat
03-14-2005, 07:45 PM
I want to take my 15gal gas tank & make my own (bigger) tank but I don't know how big to go.

I want a 25-30 gal tank for the CJ8 & I don't feel like paying 4-500 bucks for a aftermarket one..

I was thinking of cuting the tank in half & adding like a 8-10" piece to it to get more volume but I don't know the calculations or what that addition the 10"'s would ad to the tank.

Any help would be excellent.

Thanks,
RollBar
Math my friend, math. LxWxH = volume. If you work in inches it gives you cubic inches 1gallon = 231 cubic inches.
Just a quick measurement on my tank is 21x15 add 10" and you get 3150 cubes which would equal 13.64 gallons for a total of about 28.5 gallons.

How's that?

Mudrat

rollbar
03-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Cool, Talk about a bad brain fart.

The tank has been out for a while & has no fumes (thanks for the reminder).

Ya I think that will work Rat, I'm looking for @ least 28-30 & w/the 28 & the almost gal the filler hose will hold it will be enough.

As for the sender/FULL/Empty, I'll see about it & or set the float to read half as full & emptu as empty. 111!!!

& w/the SOA & 1" BL w/33's I think I'll have room.

RollBar

Mudrat
03-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Canadian methodology (http://www.oshforeveryone.org/wsib/files/ont_mol/i12e.htm?noframe)

Interesting responses to your line of questioning. (http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint81.htm)

Just be careful!!!

Mudrat

Lifted79CJ7
03-14-2005, 09:30 PM
I have also heard about running non flammable gas into the tank to keep ignition down. What about dry ice??

rollbar
03-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks Rat for the safety info, it was very good reading & I learned something. I'll ask around to see if anyone does that here, if not maybe I'll have a alum tank fabed up. I didn't realize the pores would hold contaminates etc. to that magnituted.

Thanks again,
RollBar

Mudrat
03-15-2005, 06:18 AM
I have also heard about running non flammable gas into the tank to keep ignition down. What about dry ice??
dunno about the dry ice and CO2 thing. I watched the guys at one place I worked run a propane line inside a tractors gas tank and light the gas. It burned when it came out of the tank being welded and kept a constant - read controlled - burn on whatever flamables were left in the tank while they welded the seam. This was a diesel tank on a big-ass rice-farming John Deere.

It can be done, but you need the extra safety precautions

Mud

Bulltear Ad