PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my first 258 need some parts advise.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pushead
03-16-2005, 01:15 PM
I tried to search the forums for 258 and could not find a good list. I would like to rebuild my 258 for medium range offroading and evening drives. My questions is what do want to brand to buy in the way of Pistons, camshaft, rings, valves, ect? Also what kind of machine work should I have done?

What I have planned so far is to Bore the motor .30 over or .60 if need be. 4.0 head with roller rockers and a new header for the exhaust. Trying not to spend more than 2 Grand. Doing all the wrenching myself.

This is all for my 88YJ. Please dont recomend swapping the engine for a bigger one. I love my I6 and I cant afford the gas price of a V8.

Penguin
03-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Why not get a MFI put on it also. If you are doing a 4.0 head swap you might as well get a MFI one and put that in. It will help with power and MPG.
As for what parts. Good ones, sometimes cheap is just that. I like federal mogal (sp) but those are my opinions. And Fel-pro for gaskets.

Lifted79CJ7
03-17-2005, 08:05 AM
http://www.cliffordperformance.com/

These guys will be able to help ya.....

pushead
03-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Why not get a MFI put on it also. If you are doing a 4.0 head swap you might as well get a MFI one and put that in. It will help with power and MPG.

I dont want a darn computer on my vehicle. Cant stand playing the sensor game when one goes bad. I like a good old fashon motor and carb. Besides that my WJ just spit out its first code the other day. A p056. I looked it up and am clueless on what the hell it means. To many varibles.

Bulltear Ad