PDA

View Full Version : Interesting noises

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JeepGuy24
03-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Don't know exactly where to post this but I had a question about some noises I've been hearing from my 88 GWagoneer. It's totally stock 360 that was bored .030 when it was rebuilt 3 yrs ago because it ate a main bearing. (At the back of the engine...didn't know about the oil starvation problem back then). It was rebuilt without any oil modifications because I didn't know about them. It has the 727 and a junkyard 229 (old one emptied it's fluid on the highway....clunk...dead) from an 87 and then through the 3.31 gears at the back. The reason I want to make sure everything is clear is because I'm about to go EFI, with a MegaSquirt controlled GM TBI and EDIS ignition w/wasted spark coils. I've collected all the pieces and about to start the swap, but then the sound apeared....

It happens when pulling away from a stop. It's a rpm dependent clicking noise that only occurs when in gear (never heard it in reverse, but don't accelerate too hard in reverse :wink: ). As the rpms increase the sound turns into more of a buzzing metalic noise. The sound will not occur is i'm really easy on the throttle. If you press into it, the noise gets louder. However, if you accelerate moderately and the noise occurs, you can quickly lift entirely off the throttle (the a clunk in the driveline is heard, like something engaging) and then you can massh the pedal to your hearts content with no noise. This only seems to occur after pulling away from a stop. I tried slowing to 10 mph, shifting into 1rst, and then letting it accelerate and no noise. Oil pressure is 60 cold and idling, and 40-55 on the highway. Oil pressure hot idle is about 12-15. Timing is at 14 BTDC at idle. All emmisions equipment hoocked up. Power steering pump sounds a bit noisy and has a small leak. Engine doesn't seem to loose power when this occurs, but i back off immediately and dip into the throttle until the noise dissapears.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I should check next or what might be the possible cause.... let me know. I think it sounds like something not engaging all of the way, possible the T-case. Or it could just be the power steering pump rubbing it's rotor or something.

Any ideas more than welcome.
thanks
-Nick

Soylent_Green
03-19-2005, 08:43 PM
I'd double-check all your U-joints just to be sure. Sounds like it could be some dried up needle bearings. :-|

ironroad 32
03-20-2005, 09:14 AM
sounds like the flywheel bolts hitting the flywheel cover ,that happens due to a bad trust bearing ,for some reasons these things love to eat trust bearings ,whats happeneding is it allows the crank to move forward and it starts nicking the flywheelcover .

Bulltear Ad