PDA

View Full Version : RE: 304

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Grimlock
03-20-2005, 03:15 AM
First time visiting..and wow! There is enough info on here to keep me reading for days!

Well here is my first newb question!

I have a 258. Love it, but a local guy here is selling a '79 304 v8, all the accessories and receipts showing a rebuild just 1 yr ago. $200.00 takes it.

He will include all of the accessories, ie: alt, power steering pump etc...
but obviously I will need a new exhaust, and frame mounts.

Will my clutch from the 6 cyl work on the v8? The clucth on my 6cyl is only 6mths old...thats why i am asking.

I will not need to reposition the drivetrain will I? (tranny/xcase/driveshafts)
I'm running a T5/D300. T5 should last a little while I would hope, behind the 258?

What else am I not considering?

thank you in advance fellas

Paul!
ps: Seems as though the 304 doesn't get much respect in terms of its performance and reliability...is ot deserving?

Lifted79CJ7
03-20-2005, 11:38 AM
I could be wrong, but you might need a V8 radiator. The top of the radiator (inlet) is on the wrong side, I think. Anyone else care to chime in?

Grimlock
03-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Thank you for the reply!

Also, the 304 is currently mated to an auto in the donor CJ

tufcj
03-20-2005, 05:13 PM
The 304 will bolt in. You will need V8 motor mounts, and the fuel line will need to be routed to the drivers side. Your clutch should fit the v-8 flywheel, but you will need a 304 flywheel, or have your 6 cylinder flywheel rebalanced. The 6 cylinder is internally balanced, and the flywheel is neutral. A V8 is externally balanced, and needs the flywheel balanced properly. If you get the automatic flexplate from the V8, a shop should be able to match balance the 6 cyl flywheel to it. You will also need the proper pilot bushing for the T-5 tranny for the back of the crank. On the radiator, I think the 6 has the upper hose toward the middle, the V8 is on the right side, the lower hose on both should be on the left (drivers). A radiator shop may be able to move the upper hose connector, but if it's only a 2 core, I'd up it to a 3 core anyway. The V8s generate a lot more heat. I've seen the T-5s last quite well behind a stock 304, I've seen some grenade. It's going to be your driving style that determines how long it lasts.

There's nothing wrong with the 304. I had one that was balanced and blueprinted, that I used for mud bogging. It made about 350 HP, and turned 6500 RPM with ease. It surprised a lot of people who expected to see a small block Chevy when I lifted the hood.

Bob
tufcj

Grimlock
03-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Wow, thanks Bob!

Great info and the fact that you know all of this blows my mind!

Let me ask a few q's please..just to confirm I understand...
If I take the automatic flexplate from the 304, along with my 6's flywheel to a shop, they can externally balance the 6cyl flywheel to match the balancing of the 8's auto flexplate? After that is done, the 6's flywheel is good to use with the 304. Is that right?

Also, in regards to getting the proper pilot bushing for the t5 for the 304, where would you recommend I get this? After this is completed, the rest of the 6 cyl's clutch/pressure plate etc can be used?

Thank you very much for sharing this info with me, it is very much appreciated!

Paul

tufcj
03-21-2005, 08:47 AM
When you've owned many Jeeps over 25+ years, you learn these things. I've done a couple of V8 conversions.

You are correct on the flywheel. An auto machine shop should be able to balance it, and it will bolt to the V8. The pilot bushing may take some research, the OD will have to match the V8 crank, the ID will have to match the T-5 input shaft. Advance Adapters may be able to help if a local auto parts store can't.

I got my motor mounts from www.mountainoffroad.com , their "bombproof" ones. Kind of pricey, but I like them.

Bob
tufcj

Grimlock
03-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Great Bob!

I was unsure on how to go ahead with this, but after "speaking" with you, I am convinced that this is something I can pull off!

Once again, I really appreciate it!

Paul

Mudrat
03-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Great Bob!

I was unsure on how to go ahead with this, but after "speaking" with you, I am convinced that this is something I can pull off!

Once again, I really appreciate it!

Paul
Well, since the "owner" of this board (MC) is in MAOB this week Whoooo ... HOOOooo another V-8 guy!!!!

mud

Dusty
03-21-2005, 04:56 PM
HEY :(: you're still popping around on six cylinders. 8)

Or did you get around to doing something with those motor mounts :?

I would buy a new flywheel for the $120 comes with the new starter ring etc on it and usually is drilled for both the big and small clutches. otherwise get that little ole 304 and runner, id pull the oil pan and check the bearings real quick since its out then pull the oil pump gears and check for any scarring in the pump housing. if any scarring maybe swap on a bulltear nickle timing cover and oil pump gear set, while its apart check to see if they put a full roller timing chain on and chekc the cam gear and dist gear for excessive wear or dry wear patterns other than those few things score
:idea:

probably $400-500 including buying the motor, flywheel a few gaskets and doing some wiring you could be up and running. :lo1l: if you get crazy and do clutch etc price goes up but atleast you have a good starting point.

Mudrat
03-21-2005, 05:30 PM
HEY :(: you're still popping around on six cylinders. 8)
HEY!!! I resemble that remark!!!

Yeah, I still have 2 6's I'm running, Don't have push rods or cam bearings ... yet ... to put the 360 together. I'm about to redo my daughters motor (258) and put my Clifford and Webber goodies in it. But I need to get back from San Diego and FL before get and intake and carb (or FI) for that swap to happen. Then I can stuff the 360 in my CJ :?

Looking right now at 30 over with an 8600 cam, slightly ported and polished heads, unknown intake (haven't bought it yet) and some of those trick Tri-Tech headers,

Mudrat :mrgreen:

Grimlock
03-21-2005, 11:48 PM
A few more q's...

Everyone knows the infamous carter carb and 258 combo...but whats the scoop with the 304 and its carb> good ..bad?

Also, is there a computer setup on a '79 304? Can it be ELIMINATED without much hassle?

Why don't you all come down to my place and mess with this thing!

pyagid
03-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Usually the stock carb on a 304 is a MC2100. If it very commonly swapped onto 258s. It is a pretty good carb, but may be a little small if you are going to build up the 304 at all. It is a smaller 2 barrel carb.

As far as the computer control, if there is it is very easy to eliminate. It is mostly just re-routing a couple of wires directly from the ignition modual to the Distr.

And I would come down except that i have 3 of my own projects going on right now

-Paul

Penguin
03-22-2005, 07:24 AM
There is no computer on a 79 carb. And I don't think they are all that hot. Me I would go with a FI or a Truck Avenger.

Grimlock
03-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Thank you Gents!

I will keep you all posted as to how it goes!

Now I was told on another board that the pilot busing from the 258 is exactly the same as the one needed for the 304.

Paul

eight
03-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Yes it is. I used the one from my 258 in my 360. Novak has the same pt# for them.

Grimlock
03-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Nice Eight, appreciate it

I am seriously new to this sight, but thus far I am amazed at the knowledge base found on here!

Grimlock
03-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Pygid, put your projects on hold and lets have at the Molson!

Everyone else is invited too!

jeepsr4ever
03-23-2005, 10:57 PM
:razz:

pyagid
03-24-2005, 06:03 AM
:razz: :razz: :razz:

Grimlock
03-24-2005, 06:21 PM
:razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :lo1l:

Dusty
03-24-2005, 06:27 PM
:razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :lo1l: 8) 8) 8)

Just like those minnesotans and canadians. We'll have some Molsons eh?

Hey I'll have some Crown. thank you very much

Its all about quality not quantity 8) Geesh gotta get this whole web page on the right track.

anyways if your going quantity gotta Tap the rockies not the plains

HEY MC watch out for those guys out in Utah they might try converting you to get on the wagon. they already sell the low alc % beer. should have told you that before you left so you would bring some of your own out of state stuff with you. :?:

Grimlock if you were closer i might take you up on that. LOL

79cj7duner
03-28-2005, 08:31 AM
grimlock, where you at? I'll help, and I won't even charge beer! I would if it were exactly legal, but for another year it ain't :(: :(: :razz:

Grimlock
03-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Canada!

We don't have the watered down stuff you guys are torchered with ! HA ha!

Dusty
03-31-2005, 06:31 PM
nah jsut rippin on molsons shoot i run up and get cases of Kokanee when i can. canadians at least arent tortured with low alcohol, .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................... just molsons :?

I couldnt resist

Bulltear Ad